Lodge cast iron bbq grill.

I'm thinking of buying 1 of these grills for bbq' s and it can be used for a fire pit Aswell.

Has anyone here got 1 if so how do you rate it.

They are made in the USA.and Amazon is out of stock it looks like.there are copys on eBay though.with a different name on the front.

Screenshot_20180704-163728.png

• Like 1

I don't currently have one as I gave it to a mate but they're excellent bits of kit. They're sold my end as a Lodge Hibachi and mine cost $89 which is just shy of seventy quid. There are plenty of knock-offs and quality will vary but all of our cast iron pots and pans are Lodge.

They're heavy but practically unbreakable. They'll last a lifetime if you look after them. The only issue I can see in Blighty is the grill plates themselves. Cast iron will rust if you don't season it.

Other than that buy two so you can leave one in the van for when you're out and about.

Edited by ChrisJones
Clarity

Spot on Chris.they do look great bits of kit.but like you say it's the quality of the knock offs that are going to be a worry.

On eBay they are about £110 delivered to the UK.

But like you say they will last a lifetime if looked after.

The wife has a cast Welsh cake round griddle plate from her gran thats some age.but an oiling after use its like new.

Just seen this pan lodge sell.

Looks a smart pan couldn't think of anything better to cook a trout on while camping.

Screenshot_20180704-165648.png

• Thanks 1

I cannot recommend genuine Lodge gear highly enough. The range is massive and I've just done my son's birthday breakfast on the cast iron griddle. Even if you can snag an old one that's been beaten they usually clean up well.

The hibachi is the only portable BBQ that you really need.

4 minutes ago, king said:

What oil do you use after use.

We use bacon grease saved from draining it from the breakfast pans. Simply heated up and applied with a silicon brush but any kind of vegetable fat will work too. I think Lodge use soybean oil. Their website is the go-to for hints and tips though they know their sh*t.

7 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Does it come in smaller sizes, what size ye use for motor Chris?

That's the only one they do and the size isn't too bad. The only downside is that you have to wait for them to cool until you can put it back in the vehicle. Even if you don't cook on one you can use the base as a campfire without damaging the ground.

• Like 2

A0761C04-CA24-47BE-AC73-55493431E434.thumb.jpeg.1e334e6f6e327ab5398912a22ddf7ad8.jpeg0C065D1E-7BB3-414D-A936-793F90D6BCB4.thumb.jpeg.738279b116d8bf418bb4a2e1be5b2a75.jpegI got this round cast iron one I think off Amazon for about £60 ish

only has a steel grill but it works a treat when I’m camping down the farm as a fire pit then just let the coals burn down a bit for cooking and chuck on a bit off charcoal 

• Like 1