Dusting off the old air rifle.

Well as ive been ferreting for the last few years, I havent even touched the air rifle or shotgun. After having a nose about on this forum and reading about nv builds, I thought I must dust off the old s200 that hasnt seen any use in 10 years. Within a few days, I ordered a camera, screen, batteries, cables, flowplast fittings, torch and a range finder. Within a couple of days, everything was built. I found my trusty simmons whitetail classic, and adjusted the parallax to suit air rifle ranges. It was soon set up, and having a walk about a local permission I ferret just to learn whats going on. I took a few targets to set my zero and check the range finder out. Well Im glad I brought it, judging distance through a screen is something different. It was nice to be out again with the air rifle, and nv was lovely compared to the old days lamping.

Well I remembered a paddock that had a few bunny issues, but it wasnt suitable for ferreting, so I messaged the owner and asked if it was ok if I had a go with the air rifle. She soon agreed, so that was that sorted. With everything charged and filled up I was like an excited school kid on xmas eve.

I drove to the paddocks, and firstly put up a target at 25 yards to zero the scope. It was slightly high, so a few clicks later and it was spot on. I always liked setting up at 25 yards, as you only have to worry about hold over. Ive read about some of the ranges people shoot on here, but as Im rusty from the lay off, I thought I would keep everything under 30 yards, which would suit me fine. 

Well I had a look down the hedgerow, and with it being 830pm there was plenty of bunnies about. I had seen a couple run back in the bushes close by, so 15 yards over the gate, I dropped down and waited. There was the hedgerow to my left, and a huge patch of nettles to my right, so a a few yards of clearing. Within ten mins, a rabbit put its head out and that was the first one in the bag. Another 10 mins and a second one appeared slightly to the right. A quick squeeze of the trigger and the rabbit scooted off. Total miss. In the excitement, I had missed a tuft of grass I couldnt see through the screen, but the pellet soon found it. School boy error! Another 20 mins had passed but nothing had ventured out. 

I looked ahead, and there was a fallen trunk laying from the hedgerow, perfect cover and there were a few bunnies the other side. I slowly moved in to position, and there were now two bunnies in front of me. I put the crosshairs on the left hand rabbits head, squeezed the trigger and it rolled over instantly dead. Surprising, the other rabbit, 3 yards to the right still sat there, so a quick adjustment and he joined the one next to him. A half hour wait, and a few rabbits had came from the hedgerow and gone in to the centre of the field, but out of range. It was now bordering on darkness, so I sat and thought about my next plan of attack, when I saw a deer moving slowly along the hedgerow in my direction, from 70 yards away, it didnt take long for it to be within 10 yards, so I sat up, as I didnt fancy spooking it when it was on top of me, and it soon turned around and went back in the direction it came. 

I had a scan round and could see a fair few rabbits in the centre of the field along the electric fence which kept the horses to the other side of the field. I dropped back along the hedgerow the 60 yards or so I had came. A 40 yard walk across the parking area had put me alongside the electric fence. I sat there for 10 mins gauging the rabbits, and then a few started scattering into the other side of the electric fence where the horses were. I thought I surely didnt spook them, so a quick scan around and there was Mr fox. The Ir torch turned on full, and the range finder pulses in his eyes, he soon turned around and luckily buggered off through the hedgerow.

I though I better let the rabbits settle, so sat behind a few horsey jumps and equipment out a view. The flask was cracked open and a smoke or two later, it was pitch black. On went the IR torch on low power, and there were 3 rabbits around 45 yards away. The game bag with bits and pieces was left, and I slowly scooted up the electric fence. Counting the paces, I slowly dropped to the deck and looked for the rabbits, 29 yards away. I adjusted for hold over and a little windage, the rabbit gave a few leg kicks and lights out. The other 2 had scarpered in to the horse field. I made my way along the electric fence and had a few more shots. It was getting on. around 1140pm, so decided to call it a night. A quick mooch around the field to pick up the bunnies and it was back to the car.

I ended up with 7 good sized bunnies and 1 half grown, so I was chuffed. First proper night with the air rifle in years, and the nv gear really impressed me. Total different world to lamping. Im sure these bunnies will soon get used to this and become a lot more flightly, as they have been left alone for a few years. As soon as walked in the back yard, the ferrets were up at the cages knowing there was something tasty for them. There were soon eating warm rabbit livers.

My shooting will hopefully improve, as I missed a couple of shots due to not allowing enough windage, but I knew I would be a little rusty and get caught up with the excitement of it all. All I need to order now is a bipod what would have came in handy. I dont fancy drilling the thin fore end stock of the s200, as if it did split, the chances of getting another is minimal, as I brought this s200 around 20 years ago. I see the newer models have a ring around the barrel and canister, so after a quick look around on the net, I found someone who 3d prints a barrel band thats slips over the barrel and canister with a picatinny rail, so that might be a solution to mount the bipod. Now I cant wait to get back out there again for some more sport and top the freezer up until its time to get the furries back in action.

• Like 4

Cheers. I’m gagging to go again. Hopefully the rabbits won’t wise up too quickly to the ir torch. I don’t know enough about them, but if it’s like lamping, 3 or 4 sessions and the wise up as soon as the beam is on them. Time will tell. I used a 940 pill, as I was told these are harder to detect by animals than the 850, but don’t throw out as much light. 

• Like 1

recon you'll be good for a few  sessions yet.. I use 850's on the paddocks and still get a fair few!

they defiantly don't spook like fully wild field rabbits.

the rats on some of my perms are pretty clued up to the red ring of death:laugh:

• Haha 1

Cheers for the info. I was told the 940 was especially better for rats, as they detect the 850 far easier. Its handy as im getting my foot in the door with the ferrets, and now with the nv gear, I can offer them something else when its not suitable for running the ferrets. The horsey people love it when I turn up with the fluffy little critters, as most of them are women. They love stroking them etc, and I believe most wouldnt give me permission straight with the air rifle, but after they meet me and realise we arent psycho murderers, they are happy to do anything to protect their horses legs.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...