Well at least I’m getting exercise

So I have been out a few times this week. Decided to mix it up and try and few day sessions to see if I’d have any luck. 

Nothing. 

I’ve tried sitting in wait and watching tree tops and hedgerows. Everything seems to have this skill of knowing exactly how far away they need to be to be out of reach. Ironically the 1 thing I got close enough to that I could have had a shot at was a muntjac... I don’t think my sub-12 air rifle is entirely appropriate on that front if I’m honest although it was a nice sight at 3 in the afternoon, once he spotted me I think he went off to cause some grief on the golf course next door. 

Tonight was probably my closest chance at anything. I spent 3 hours out and about with the Intention of getting some experience with my new NV scope. I charged my batteries up and got out in the field. This is basically where everything started to go downhill. I forgot my knife (Unlike me entirely, and I felt oddly naked without it and I don’t mean naked literally before you perverts get started). I also left my torch in the car which is genius when you’re out at night time. 

I decided to use a lay in wait approach and set up next to a hedgerow. I got comfy and sat scanning the area with my NV.  I got into place before dark and just as it got too dark to see without the NV a rabbit bolted from the hedgerow 5ft away from me... causing a mild heart attack in the process as it was clearly trying its best to take off. Couldn’t even get my gun to my shoulder before he was over the horizon and gone. Feeling a bit dejected I  decided to have a look about and see what I could see. I spotted a rabbit along the far hedgerow, I stalked along my hedgerow to the corner of the field and then made my way up towards it (I had to be sure this was a safe shot as the hedgerow runs along a main road so approach it along the hedgerow was the only way to shoot safely with a proper backstop that wasn’t shooting towards the road). I got within 20 yards, lay down and looked through my scope, only to see the rabbit I’d seen from the other hedgerow thanks to its eyes in the scope and another rabbit about a foot in front of it. No idea why the second rabbits eyes weren’t lighting up but I suspected mixy may have been in play and the eye facing me may have been swollen up... alternatively he was wearing sunglassses, doesn’t really matter cause I missed anyway. WELL I say I missed... this must have been the Jedi or rabbits as the shot was a good shot but he freaking dodged it and darted back into the hedgerow. The second rabbit wasn’t as smart, That one had run out further into the open and gave me a clearer shot. I finally thought this was going  I be my chance to take a rabbit with a PCP. Only shot rabbits with a springer up to now. 

I took the time to line it up, rabbit couldn’t give two shits that I was there so I had time. Once I was calm and ready I pulled the trigger... dodgy pellet. I had the crosshairs on its head and I watched the pellet sail over the rabbit somewhere the region of its arse. He decided that the bloke with the rifle that’s usually not a threat was getting too close for comfort now and decided it’d be far more comfortable to wait it out in the comfort of the burrow. This is the point that my NV batteries died. So I decided to call it a night. I got up and realised I’d laid in cowshit. 

Starting to wonder who the hell i’ve upset to be getting this treatment. On the upside the dogs were excited as hell to sniff my jacket when I got in... the Mrs however, not so much. 

At least with all the walking and hiking around I’m doing I am getting some exercise. Which is always good when you work a mostly sedentary job like I do.  

Edited by Mark_mjs93
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

ill give you 10 out 10 for effort/commitment mark!

this is a bad time of year, grabbing a bit of time when you can... ive left all sorts of stuff at home rushing about and usually grab the wrong pellets:laugh:

soon as the weather turns im sure you'll be rewarded:thumbs:

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, mark williams said:

Hi Mark,

Ditto to Si`s comment, - it is a hard time of year mate.

Hope you don`t mind the question,- how long have you been air gun hunting ? Gives us a clearer idea of you Mark.

Been into airguns for the best part of 10 years now. Started with springers and the. Got into PCPs in the last couple of years. I’ve been wanting to get into the hunting side of it for ages but only really got lucky and ended up with a place I can actually shoot this year thanks to Rabid. So in short I only really been hunting live quarry since January... so I’m still learning every day. Unfortunately I don’t come from a shooting family. I was lucky when I was younger and had a family friend take me out a couple of times when I got my springer but it really was only once or twice. I don’t think he was to keen on teaching anyone really. So in short, I’m kind of having to learn from the ground up on my own. I had to do the same thing with fishing and whilst that took the same amount of effort as I didn’t have any guidance for that either, I ended up being quite good at that haha. 

Although I can’t say I ever laid in cow shit whilst fishing ?

2 minutes ago, Mark_mjs93 said:

I didn’t want to give you the satisfaction ? I knew you’d enjoy taking the piss too much... sort of like the guinea chicken-turkey debacle ?

Well if you had taken the piss instead of the pat, your Mrs would have been a lot happier ?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Rabid said:

You didn't tell me about the cow pat ????????????

''didn't tell me about the miss either ?

Didn’t mention the miss as I didn’t think it was relevant. Thought you’d come to expect me to miss Everything by now. I told you, I might be crap at shooting but I’m a fairly effective scarecrow. 

1 minute ago, mark williams said:

Great answer Mark :good:.

We all know, now, how to give you the best advice we can.

When you say Bedford, - is that Bedford in Leigh, Lanc`s, or elsewhere ?

Cheers Mark, I’m in Bedford, Bedfordshire. East anglia ??

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Rabid said:

Next time I get some free time we will go out for a bit and see what's happening, can't see you keep coming back empty handed.

No trouble fella. As I say, I know it’s all part of the process. I’ve been fishing for years now and I never had anyone to teach me the ropes for that. Just had to learn as I went. Now I can do it with me eyes shut... mostly thanks to bite alarms but you get the picture. I went 12 months of fishing 4 times a week before I actually caught anything. Just enjoyed being out. 

With that said I think there’s always lots to learn and I appreciate any opportunity to head out and see how it’s done ?? 

1 minute ago, Mark_mjs93 said:

No trouble fella. As I say, I know it’s all part of the process. I’ve been fishing for years now and I never had anyone to teach me the ropes for that. Just had to learn as I went. Now I can do it with me eyes shut... mostly thanks to bite alarms but you get the picture. I went 12 months of fishing 4 times a week before I actually caught anything. Just enjoyed being out. 

With that said I think there’s always lots to learn and I appreciate any opportunity to head out and see how it’s done ?? 

If your getting the shots, but not the bag, something's not right. I just seem short on time to get out myself.