Celebrity Hunter Outrage (Canadian Edition)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once more the justice league of social media were out in force to condemn a hunter. Minor Canadian celebrity Steve Ecklund shot a mountain lion in Alberta and posted his pictures on social media but w

You can actually go out with houndsmen who just tree and release mate.    

Utah Cougar Guidebook Let me know if I need to put you a bed up!

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

If people want to hunt for the pelt, meat, mount, whatever crack on just don't waste it.

I think taking the cat home is part and parcel of the experience for me,not to do so would be like doing the hatton garden vault just to look at the contents :angel:

1 minute ago, Greyman said:

Did you ever get one of the bobcat out of curiosity, 

I didn't unfortunately. I was heading out to work one Saturday morning and I saw it stood in the yard between the trees. It just looked at me and walked off. The following Saturday I saw it again and that's the day I went out and bought the trail camera. Haven't seen it since.

Local guy I've gotten to know has advised me to get some cat lure from the trapping suppliers. I'm tempted I must admit. Again I'd rather have it on film than the wall. They're no worry to me.

1 minute ago, mackem said:

I think taking the cat home is part and parcel of the experience for me,not to do so would be like doing the hatton garden vault just to look at the contents :angel:

:laugh: I get that. I'd be like that with bear and wolf, even Bobcat. Other than a bleached skull I'm not sure there'd be much from a lion of interest to me. To be able to say I'd crawled into a cave with one to pull hounds away after a quick 10 miles in the hills would be everything though. 8)...........:help:

1 minute ago, mackem said:

And that's a fair one, mate. For me, it's the hunt and with today's HD footage collectors that's all I'd need. Again I'm not anti-trophy by any stretch it's just not my thing. I'd rather have the pictures.

3 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

I didn't unfortunately. I was heading out to work one Saturday morning and I saw it stood in the yard between the trees. It just looked at me and walked off. The following Saturday I saw it again and that's the day I went out and bought the trail camera. Haven't seen it since.

Local guy I've gotten to know has advised me to get some cat lure from the trapping suppliers. I'm tempted I must admit. Again I'd rather have it on film than the wall. They're no worry to me.

He will return they always do unless they have a bad experience or meet Mackem, the hard part is keeping the camera running for the duration it takes him to comeback, I find the cameras start missing stuff once the battery,s drop below about 80percent as its on your property you can add a solar panel also at the mountain lion conference my friend attends in the states they had a small cat call that fitted to the trail cam and gave out a distress call  at regular intervals, good luck be nice to see you get one 

14 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

And that's a fair one, mate. For me, it's the hunt and with today's HD footage collectors that's all I'd need. Again I'm not anti-trophy by any stretch it's just not my thing. I'd rather have the pictures.

I thought I'd never be content releasing salmon. Now, quick photo, back she goes. I'm quite happy. Just takes a little psychological adjustment.

Having said that, dead trophies often sustain populations of animals. Cecil was a good example, kept people in work and lions in existence.

Edited by jukel123
2 minutes ago, Greyman said:

He will return they always do unless they have a bad experience or meet Mackem, the hard part is keeping the camera running for the duration it takes him to comeback, I find the cameras start missing stuff once the battery,s drop below about 80percent as its on your property you can add a solar panel also at the mountain lion conference my friend attends in the states they had a small cat call that fitted to the trail cam and gave out a distress call  at regular intervals, good luck be nice to see you get one 

Good to know that. The camera I've got is from Wildgame Innovations it's customisable with IR video and photos too. I paid around $100 for it, from the local sporting goods store, but it was reduced from $150 because it was an older model. The brand came recommended to me by a couple of bow hunters I know.

0024a.jpg.bc74a1fc985de5981a2959f202421e52.jpg

Having the seen the fickle intricacies of these cameras first hand I can see why a lot of footage gets called out. Even with all the technology at your fingertips, there is a learning curve.

1 minute ago, jukel123 said:

I thought I'd never be content releasing salmon. Now, quick photo, back she goes. I'm quite happy. Just takes a little psychological adjustment.

Having said that, dead trophies often sustain populations of animals. Cecil was a good example, kept people in work and lions in existence.

There will be plenty of trophy collectors and my impact certainly won't be an issue. It's just a different kind of trophy!

15 minutes ago, mackem said:

Some very good taxidermists for cats.

00small23418514.jpg

00small13072093.jpg

I'm not a massive fan of taxidermy for myself, though I do like looking at good pieces like those. I'd go for a nice wall mounted skin probably. Frankly if I was going all the way to Montana or wherever to chase one at great expense then I'd most likely be killing one. It'd not be as important to me as having an exciting hunt though.

Edited by Born Hunter