Remember a while back I posted some pictures of tunnels through a hedge?..I can't find the original photo's but these are the same tunnels with some soil added.

sun000011Small.jpg

sun000008Small.jpg

They were constructed to attract the rats to use them as highways during this shooting season. I don't understand why this tunnel has been partially buried, if you look closely at the top pic' you can see some metal work of the trap.

As it was foggy yesterday I was able to have a mooch around with out being seen by the keepers and came across several in the near vicinity.

sun000004Small.jpg

sun000007Small.jpg

Also some neat bait box's by the feeders.

sun000020Small.jpg

And a pic' of Meg in the fog.. :laugh:

sun000014Small.jpg

?????????????????????????Did you spring the fenn ???????????????????????.

NOT SUGGESTING FOR ONE MOMENT THAT MIKE THE DOG HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT....

but i fecking hate it when folk mess about with my trap lines, doesnt happen that much but when it does........ :censored:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Cheers for that, Mike :good: I guess that sort of clears up the one mystery and yet leaves us with another! Like; Why the hell do they appear to have made inaccessably buried tunnels??? Or is there an access hatch in the tops?

Have ye spoken to any of those Keepers then? Or have ye just had a mouch about and figured it for yeself from personal observation? Only ye specifically mention rats. They've put themselves to some trouble, haven't they?

I'd love to get a look inside that Bait Box! Such things intrigue me! Come to think of it; They always have! :D

?????????????????????????Did you spring the fenn ???????????????????????.

No! :no: ...I came across several of these set-ups and they were all sprung in the same manner.

I'm no trap expert but I worked out for myself that the hazel was placed in the entrance to encourage the rats to take the correct route.

Ditch,...Lots of greasy rat runs all around the area of the traps. The bait box was a simple set-up, hole in and hole out with the bait to one side of a piece of 1/2 x 1/2 timber keeping it in place, I will attempt to take a pic' soon.. ;)

Forgot to mention!...No, there was no access to the tunnel from the top, the Fen traps were placed at one end just inside the entrance and the anchor chains were secured outside enabling the trap to be retrieved with ease.

Edited by MikeTheDog
Guest Ditch_Shitter

" Enabling the trap to be retrieved with relative ease. " ? Aye. But I'd hate to be f*cking about putting it back in and rebuilding the entrance, mate! Take time for them to use it again, if it's all disrupted. Or is that sly slot just at one end and the trap end the open sort with the baffle sticks?

Must admit, having had time to roll it round a bit, I too am mystified as to why they've fired those traps. Lunatics wouldn't just fire them and walk off. They'd stamp all over the trap and rip up the tunnels. I reckon the Keepers must've done that, But why??? :icon_eek:

Would ye happen to have any idea what sort of bait they're using in those boxes, Mike? Grain, I'm guessing? Or maybe pellets? What colour, did ye notice? (Sorry, but bait speaks a language all of its own and it just fasinates the f*ck out of me! :laugh: )

" Enabling the trap to be retrieved with relative ease. " ? Aye. But I'd hate to be f*cking about putting it back in and rebuilding the entrance, mate! Take time for them to use it again, if it's all disrupted. Or is that sly slot just at one end and the trap end the open sort with the baffle sticks?

Must admit, having had time to roll it round a bit, I too am mystified as to why they've fired those traps. Lunatics wouldn't just fire them and walk off. They'd stamp all over the trap and rip up the tunnels. I reckon the Keepers must've done that, But why??? :icon_eek:

Would ye happen to have any idea what sort of bait they're using in those boxes, Mike? Grain, I'm guessing? Or maybe pellets? What colour, did ye notice? (Sorry, but bait speaks a language all of its own and it just fasinates the f*ck out of me! :laugh: )

I'm thinking that these tunnel traps are mainly in use during the nesting/rearing season when predator control is best practised. I only run my trap line from 1st March to 1st Sept, then traps are lifted, either this keeper has sprung them because he cannot inspect them every day through the winter or he's got a do gooder wandering aroung springing them .

I'm thinking that these tunnel traps are mainly in use during the nesting/rearing season when predator control is best practised. I only run my trap line from 1st March to 1st Sept, then traps are lifted, either this keeper has sprung them because he cannot inspect them every day through the winter or he's got a do gooder wandering aroung springing them .

think your right. will be the keeper we fired ours when we could not look every day

that first pic would suggest that the soil has bin dug out from the inside , probably a rat or rabbit , similar in the second pic and sticks in the traps are just what the keepers do when they havn,t time to check the traps everyday

Guest little_lloyd

Probbaly was sprung as the keepers did not have the time to check them over the festive season!!

Anyway when i lift my trap line,, i take them home,, safe not sprung for any one ot come along and pinch them :doh:

Also removing the trap from its tunnel will allow the vermin to pass through these highways undisturbed and will return happily when the trap is back in action :D

Or those traps could of fell victim to the silly,.. do gooding,... does not know what there on about jobby. Or that lot are more likely to remove your trap or go to thier best efforts to put the trap out of action ;)

Guest little_lloyd
Can someone force Lloyd to change that FECKING FONT TYPE,put out a contract on him or at the very least ,ban him .

Ohh Alright no one likes it :thumbdown:

Orange is the new choice,, now dont f*****g moan about that :laugh: