Just need some general advice at the mo.

i have a large, and I do mean it's bloody big, fox visiting an area, I also know that very shortly I can expect it in my trap as it is going in and taking bait every night, now the thing is, from my camera pics it is a very nice one with a lovely looking coat, the Mrs has mentioned how she would rather see it as a rug !

so, for someone with zero idea about tanning, how practical is it to skin and prep/treat a fox skin and is it actually worth the bother or not.

• 2 weeks later...

On 23/11/2017 at 18:43, Rabid said:

Just need some general advice at the mo.

i have a large, and I do mean it's bloody big, fox visiting an area, I also know that very shortly I can expect it in my trap as it is going in and taking bait every night, now the thing is, from my camera pics it is a very nice one with a lovely looking coat, the Mrs has mentioned how she would rather see it as a rug !

so, for someone with zero idea about tanning, how practical is it to skin and prep/treat a fox skin and is it actually worth the bother or not.

Here is a rug done by a young guy (teenager) from the US who lived in Ireland for a few years. Not a bad little attempt.

full-26404-215267-img_0131.jpg.2f08bcd21d3798eda7adb0b1e6d84bc8.jpg

I presume you tan the hide, and then get the sowing needle out! lol

He also sent pelts over to auction, and got a nice profit for it too. Said they went mad for the big Irish fox. 

If you want a solid head mount on your rug, then you go to a good taxidermist.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Here is a rug done by a young guy (teenager) from the US who lived in Ireland for a few years. Not a bad little attempt.

full-26404-215267-img_0131.jpg.2f08bcd21d3798eda7adb0b1e6d84bc8.jpg

I presume you tan the hide, and then get the sowing needle out! lol

He also sent pelts over to auction, and got a nice profit for it too. Said they went mad for the big Irish fox. 

If you want a solid head mount on your rug, then you go to a good taxidermist.

Thanks, it's the tanning part I need to learn, although I think they look better with the head still on them.

cant imagine be much profit after shipping them to the states unless they make stupid amounts of money, surely they have much better things than bloody foxes.

1 hour ago, Rabid said:

Thanks, it's the tanning part I need to learn, although I think they look better with the head still on them.

cant imagine be much profit after shipping them to the states unless they make stupid amounts of money, surely they have much better things than bloody foxes.

What I mean is, you can do it yourself as above, or a taxidermist can do a nice job with a solid head, eye's, even teeth and tongue if you wish. Have seen examples of that, and they look really well. Of course that costs a few quid, but if it were a real nice fox, it'd be worth it imo.

I think it was myersberg on here done a really good job tanning some fox and mink pelts last year, using a tanning solution. You should message him. He may be able to help you out.

Regarding the young lad shipping the pelts. It was a few years ago now, (maybe four or five) and fur prices were very good at the time. They are really poor the last two or three years.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...