Lurcher Pup Stalking

Hi all

I have an eight week old Lurcher pup which I've started retrieve training, she seems very intelligent and learns things quickly, one peculiar characteristic she has is that she will very slowly stalk a thrown dummy and when she's within a yard or so she will suddenly pounce,no matter how excited she is she always does the same thing, stalk then pounce, but she always brings it straight back quickly, I'm not complaining as it's amusing to watch and can't see it being a problem when she starts working. She has about a quarter collie blood in her so I was thinking that could be why.

I would be very interested to know if any of you lads have a dog or pup that does the same thing , especially if they have a bit of collie in their make up.

Atb

Steve

It's all part and parcel of the hunt bud , your probably lookin for reinsurance that she won't hunt like that

What I will tell is every running dog is stimulated by the movement and shape of the bunny, round furry shapes are completely prey like for the dog but what has to happen to really trigger the prey making instinct is Movement ,

Movement is the key to the chase , prey has to act prey like to trigger the predator ,

So if we roll this on a few months and say the pup has chased a few , the bunny even without running will galvanise the dog into action because the bunny as an object has been tagged with a stimulating force inside the dog, a feeling of movement has already been registered from before

The stalking is the supreme act of energy conservation in an animal, all animals will do it to some extent, no animal in the wild runs around fields like a headless chicken wagering on putting something up like a young dog because internally they have all done the maths and energy expenditure and energy in (caught prey ) has to tally

Best of luck with the pup sir ,

I'd also like to add , this constant push to train younger and younger pups is a f**k up in my mind , hand feed , throw away the bowl and have the dog completely comfortable in your space , a dog don't need to be taught to be social It was born social the trick to having a social dog is knowing how to keep it that way

Edited by Casso
  • Like 9