Castrated Hobs

Hi lads. Want to get my first ferret kits soon. From the research I've done (newbie) I've decided to get 2 hobs from the same litter, then castrate the pair so they can live together peacefully. Seems a lot less hassle than Jill's coming into season. Only thing I'm worried about is the castration making them less keen to work, has anyone got any experience with this?

I can't speak from experience but I met a guy this week who uses his castrated hob and he couldn't talk it up enough . He reckoned it turned almost female in build but with the base size of a hob

Edited by Welsh_red

It shouldnt affect there working ability just there sex drive , Cant see them fighting till after there balls drop at there first season this time next year

Up to you but its a easier operation when there in season and there balls are dropped out of season they carry them in there body could be a pure c of a operation if you dont get a ferret friendly vet

Hi mate

We work mainly Jill's but have got a couple of castrated hobs and a vasectomised hob

We use the hobs on the big deep chalk warrens on the South Downs and trust me when I say having hobs castrated or vasectomised makes no difference to there working ability

Good luck and happy hunting

I appreciate all the replies. Been ringing round and castration is pretty pricey. Would a single hob left uncastrated be ok living on its own?

Aye but there social animals and are better with two or in a group