Turning A Neccesity Into A Hobby

Hi all,

Just to clarify the title a little, basically my garden is being plagued by rats currently, its a mix I feel of a rural setting, having a bird aviary and my neighbours garden being that overgrown that the greenhouse is basically covered now. The rat activity has increased considerably onto my garden and certainly onto the aviary etc.

Which leads to my next part, my Labrador is old but remains keen to have a go at the rats but just hasn't got the ability, we decided when her time came that we would look at a terrier or two and I would take up ratting as a hobby too locally for a bit of fun preferably with one or both of my boys. I feel with the issues I currently have bringing this plan forward might not be a bad thing.

I suppose as a new beginner, my questions would be similar to others but am I better suited looking for a pup(s) or an older dog that might teach me the ropes as much as the other way round? Any tips for keeping them in kennels?, this is subject to the wife not warming to them, which hopefully she will.

Also if going for a pup, where to look really, an awful lot for sale on preloved, pets4homes etc - would much prefer to start on the right road though.

Obviously I have the current issue, If need be I can look at dealing with that via other means and happy to wait patiently for advice and of course the dog.

Thanks in advance

Bird aviaries will always attract rats and mice,in fact vermin of all types, I kill plenty in pensioners gardens that are attracted to the bird feeders for tits,goldfinches,bullies,etc, get a pup terrier from working stock already doing what you want it for, I would go for a russell type and there should be plenty about if you"re set on getting one, good luck in obtaining a decent pup, WM

• Like 1

I'd personally pay for an older one and buy a pup in too. Nothing like a dog to bring another dog on

Thank you for the reply, i did wonder if that is the way to go, I think two would be the maximum as i wouldn't want to run before i walk so to speak. :)

you might want to check out plummer terriers.

there's a couple of good threads about ratting called''rats r us'' and one by omanyara or something like that.

Thank you for your reply.

I have read up on the Plummer Terriers before, i think on a pigeon website. They seemed perfect but appear hard to come by, or at least not as readily available as other breeds.

Bird aviaries will always attract rats and mice,in fact vermin of all types, I kill plenty in pensioners gardens that are attracted to the bird feeders for tits,goldfinches,bullies,etc, get a pup terrier from working stock already doing what you want it for, I would go for a russell type and there should be plenty about if you"re set on getting one, good luck in obtaining a decent pup, WM

Thanks WM,

I am set on getting started, obviously don't want to rush in doing so, looking at Kennels and so on to get one ordered and doing lots of reading as i am sure being a dog keeper and wanting to work a dog require totally different mindsets.

With the aviary, i had 70ft of pigeon loft in the garden at one time, yet 10% of the issues currently. The first rat i spotted was before 7pm last night and i killed 4 that trapped in the humane trap before midnight.

See if any of the lads on here have a one that's no good for digging but will do the job you want it for,then you can buy a pup for it to bring it on for you on the rats.or start from scratch and buy 2 pups and bring them on the rats your self mate,like said you will have activity around your aviary because of food stuffs for your birds.

• Like 1

A working type russell pup.Give it a rat caught in a live catch trap at around 6 months.Thats all the rat training it will need.You'll have a rodent killing machine for the next 12 years plus.Most terriers are decent ratters but if you get one from hunting stock it will be on the next level if your wanting to get into ratting seriously.A rough coated pup will appeal to the mrs and get a crate or run when you need some time out.

Edited by Aussie Whip