I've Found A Whole New Spirit In The Winter Of My Life

Guest Ditch_Shitter

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:clapper: Just this minute got in and read that lot! What a cracking and interesting bunch of replies! (And I'm SO glad I brought a fresh bottle of Jamesons home with me! No f*cking way could I have read all that looking at a dry night! :tongue2: )

Ok, rush, rush, busy, busy. All to do yet. But I'll come back later for some more chat. Plenty to respond to already :good:

Glenfiddich if its scotch, but i prefer jamesons, because its smoother and doesn,t give me bleedin heartburn like most scotches do. I,m also a lover of gin, gordons is ok, but i love bombay sapphire, and also plymouth gin, which is a little stronger.

Jack Daniels as its steeped with Welsh history.

The family of whiskey distiller Jack Daniel was among the first of those who sailed from the tiny harbor in Cardigan, Ceredigion, Wales to the New World in the United States in approximately 1807.[1]

But now its Penderyn Whiskey for me

Penderyn

Cheers bob

:clapper: New drink Today :yes: Napoleon Brandy :D ...Received a text from one of my bosses..."Get some brandy down your neck" :icon_eek: So the central heatings on a 18 degrees :icon_eek: i'm clad in long johns, jeans thick socks, t-shirt, shirt, jumper, hoodie, tartan blanket and am still shivering :laugh: Strepsils, decongestant, mrs beecham, vit C and glucose and half a litre of napolean so far :laugh: Must admit i feel a damn site better than i did. :drink: Boney

With you there Trappa G&T on a hot summers day takes some beating :yes:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Right, lads ~ funny how no females have responded :unsure: ~ just poured my fith Guinness of the night and glanced longingly at that bottle of Jamie on the way to the fridge!

You Oz lads; Funny that. I was honestly meaning to ask you lot what spirits ye enjoyed over there! That thought may well have morphed into this Thread instead, actually? Don't remember! :laugh:

Now, 'Bundi' is obviously native. What about Ellie C? Or is that something Stabbist brought with him? Never heard of either of them in uk. I did try Jim Beam, during my Sampling though. That was one of the vilest of the lot and I quite frankly almost wanted to spit it out! Seriously! Not even sure what it is off hand. Bourbon? JD's a whiskey, after all. Maybe I just don't like Bourbon then? Can't stand that Southern Comfort either. Orangy tang. Another taste I don't like.

C2C; Adding Anything to JD except More JD is a crime! Same goes for Pernod, in my book. Why take something as nice as Pernod and add water or blackcurrant?! Why do people do that?! :blink:

Finny! YOU are my Man of the Match!!! :clapper: Jamesons Twelve Year Old??? That's My f*ckin birthday treat to myself sorted out then! IF I can find a bottle in my local, one horse town? My birthday happens to be pay day too. So, if I haven't starved to death by then, I'll certainly try to find a bottle of that to break the barren time with :good:

And as for Mead?! Tell me about it! twenty five years back; They sold it out of the plastic barrel in our local offy. " Armadillo ". Christ, the wife and I kept them on their toes, keeping a fresh barel to hand lest we drained that one too quick! One time, we had some VIP friends down as Guests of Honour. I bought a barrel of Mead and some f*ckin Serious damage was done to that in a short time, I can tell ye! In fact, the 'el cheapo' Armadillo stuff is much nicer that the 'proper' Merrydown bottles. MD's thinner and tart by comparison ;)

Right, ok then; So we then have a lot of preferances for various Malts. But I also see Jamies GOLD mentioned? Would that be the 12 yo, or yet another version?

And Bushmills. I'm yet to. But I've heard people emphatically swear that it Must be " Black Bush ". Again; Would that be the Bushmills 12, I wonder?

Forgive me if I express such ignorance coupled with my enthusiasm. Only I've never considered myself a whiskey drinker. Probaby because I've normally accessed the stuff I listed - shop shelf standard stuff - and just found it 'did' when that's what was on offer. I frankly expected Jamesons to just be another such hot, harsh, typical whiskey. My fellow fans will know then just why I was so amazed and delighted!

When I have some loose change and the time available, I must make a point of trying one or two more (especially Irish!) whiskeys in the pub. Just the one shot. See what they taste like. That's where I'll be sampling Bushmills :yes:

Most enjoyable and enlightening Thread. Cheers, lads! :D:drink:

DS, top reading, Bundy is Bundaberg Rum, lovely drop mate, Australian made, at least us colonials can do something right hey!

Has anyone ever had Mekong (Thai Whiskey), it is bleedin horrible, but does the job in about half hour and you only need a few drinks. Stabs stop salivating mate, I know you love it. It is actually very good for polishing furniture. :victory:

DS, top reading, Bundy is Bundaberg Rum, lovely drop mate, Australian made, at least us colonials can do something right hey!

Has anyone ever had Mekong (Thai Whiskey), it is bleedin horrible, but does the job in about half hour and you only need a few drinks. Stabs stop salivating mate, I know you love it. It is actually very good for polishing furniture. :victory:

Mekong..... :boogie: I first had that when I was hunting in Thailand in 1997 and I was in a coma for about 24 hours! I was warned not to drink it and I thought it was the taste that they were warning me about. Anyway, I met this lass and we got on the Mekong and cokes and the next day I was a shell of my former self. I'm not joking, that was about the worst I've ever felt in my life. A few years go past and I hook up with FJager here in 2000/2001 and he told me why people stay away from it....it's got opium in it :laugh:

Ditchy....Elijah Craig is 12 year old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. Winner of a double gold at the San Francisco World Spirits Championships and named Whisky Magazines "Best of the Best" bourbon whiskey.....or so it says here on the bottle :thumbs: It's a small batch bourbon and it's like a cross between a nice Irish and bourbon in my opinion.

Do any you guys like this poteen ? i find it lovely sweet and smooth and makes a nice change from the wisky , i drink the 60% as the 70 and 90 can loose you the use of your limbs fairly fast ,the 60 is good though with a drop of water or a good lemanade.

Advised not to drink neet or smoke with a glass in yer hand :D

http://www.irish-poteen.com/pot60.htm

For some reason every Friday night after we've put my son to bed, wife and i enjoy a large G&T each in front of the TV. A bit camp but ooohhh who cares...... :kiss:

However i am rather fond of whiskey and Jamesons and Laphroig are two i'm rather fond of, however i'm with Blackbob now its Penderyn, Welsh Whiskey sadly its rather expensive but i dropped my wife a large hint for an Xmas present so lets hope... :drink:

Cheers

Aled