So... You don't see a safety issue in there always being a live round in the chamber??!!

Maybe its just me, but I like knowing there either isn't a live round in a cocked rifle when there doesn't need to be (especially in the field), I like having the ability to not chamber another round directly after a shot if I don't need to, I like the ability to open the bolt halfway to disengage the sears when there is a round in the chamber and I know I won't have an immediate need to pull the trigger.

Purely relying on a mechanical safety is lunacy at best imho. Others may disagree but I'm not a fan of it as a concept at all. I have seen safety catches fail before.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Allegedly over 5,000,000 10/22 have been sold worldwide, so no need to buy one, just ask all the owners here if you can have all their surplus original parts after they have bought the vast amount of

Not the 1022 that's for sure !

3 completely different tools.   What do you want / need it to do?   Cz lr bolt action - quiet, accurate, 100 yard gun for bunny, good but not great as a target / range gun.   17 hornet - fox

So... You don't see a safety issue in there always being a live round in the chamber??!!

Maybe its just me, but I like knowing there either isn't a live round in a cocked rifle when there doesn't need to be (especially in the field), I like having the ability to not chamber another round directly after a shot if I don't need to, I like the ability to open the bolt halfway to disengage the sears when there is a round in the chamber and I know I won't have an immediate need to pull the trigger.

Purely relying on a mechanical safety is lunacy at best imho. Others may disagree but I'm not a fan of it as a concept at all. I have seen safety catches fail before.

I'm VERY safety conscious and i dont rely on safety catches either. I just don't consider it a problem to remove the mag and if I don't want a bullet in the chamber I won't cock it.

I'm VERY safety conscious and i dont rely on safety catches either. I just don't consider it a problem to remove the mag and if I don't want a bullet in the chamber I won't cock it.

Apart from everytime you pull the trigger...

I'm not saying using a semi on the field is wrong, just there are no perceivable benefits (to me) compared with the many slight drawbacks over a bolt.

Having used both as bunny guns I'd only ever grab the semi auto if I fancied a quick play or an ambush session.

This was a light night when I was harvesting rabbit.

Ten years of selling rabbits.

DSCN0981_zpsdc79f75b.jpg

All bolt guns. When I tried auto's the haul and reliability dropped.

Over the years the two auto's soon went.

U.

• Like 1

Its a valid point but there is considerably more to gun safety than a safety catch.

Of course accidents can happen, but correct gun handling in the field should eliminate problems, simply relying on a safety catch is daft.

I walk the fields with a chambered round (BA or Semi, Rifle or shotgun), but I don't wave the gun around and I don't rely on the safety.

If you are not easy with correct gun handling and a safety catch then by all means keep the chamber clear!

ATB! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

CZ renowned for accuracy and if you get a 455 you can get interchangeable barrels. Like you I shoot for the pot and I've decided to get the CZ455 in .22 lr and buy a hmr barrel for when I want slightly longer range.

Over the years I've seen a fair few in the field and at rifle clubs whose gun handling and safety leave more than a little to be desired.

What am I missing here, what is that meant to imply? These people should be straightened out or not have access to guns.

Walking around with an empty chamber does not turn anyone into a safe shooter.

I have just got back from Bisley, I am a RCO, if anyone in my club or ANYONE else on the firing point was behaving inappropriately I would remove them INSTANTLY and either make sure they were retrained or banned...END OF!

ATB!

Over the years I've seen a fair few in the field and at rifle clubs whose gun handling and safety leave more than a little to be desired.

What am I missing here, what is that meant to imply? These people should be straightened out or not have access to guns.

Walking around with an empty chamber does not turn anyone into a safe shooter.

I have just got back from Bisley, I am a RCO, if anyone in my club or ANYONE else on the firing point was behaving inappropriately I would remove them INSTANTLY and either make sure they were retrained or banned...END OF!

ATB!

Not a jab at you mate, sorry if it came over that way.

Just making the point that I've seen plenty of people who had questionable gun handling at the best of times and the excuse is frequently 'but the safety is on so it's fine' as we both know - it isn't.

for me, a semi auto in the field isnt ideal as a walkabout or lamp / nv gun as a concept (too many drawbacks over a bolt as I said earlier) but going back to the initial query, the 10/22 itself is usually hit and miss out of the box so usually needs at least a couple of aftermarket bits chucking in.

My mate has just messed up one of our main farms, The farmer is an excellent bloke is son not so, he's upset the son big time

so has it stands at the moment things with the new gun are on hold, reason for this, we have had this farm since 1989 no problems, The son did tell us once the old man goes all shooting on the farm will stop !

so my mate takes several of his friends dogs 4x4's lights without asking, so things don't look very good I will try to beg, but even then there's the son to deal with, so it looks like the end for this farm, And I don't blame them I feel like putting my mate in the pot