• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Allegedly over 5,000,000 10/22 have been sold worldwide, so no need to buy one, just ask all the owners here if you can have all their surplus original parts after they have bought the vast amount of

Not the 1022 that's for sure !

3 completely different tools.   What do you want / need it to do?   Cz lr bolt action - quiet, accurate, 100 yard gun for bunny, good but not great as a target / range gun.   17 hornet - fox

3 completely different tools.

What do you want / need it to do?

Cz lr bolt action - quiet, accurate, 100 yard gun for bunny, good but not great as a target / range gun.

17 hornet - fox capable, longer range bunny gun, expensive to run (unless you reload but the £300+ ish setup costs will buy a lot of lr rounds!)

And the 10/22.

A gamble.

Some are great out of the box, most, well, aren't!

Vast array of aftermarket parts and accessories so you can make the gun very reliable, very accurate and very smooth to shoot however a full custom 10/22 could easily end up costing you north of £650,bank on spending at least 150 to get it smooth and reliable with factory trigger, stock and barrel.

Not ideal as a bunny gun (imho) as semis in the field are less than ideal for a number of reasons (more noise, less accuracy, less reliable, less safe, brass ends up everywhere)

They do however make great fun guns for playing about down the range or the odd bit of truck / tractor based bunny bashing

• Like 2

Thank you for your feed back I think Cz .22lr looks the safe bet, I see some custom 10/22 around for sale never had one and it's more novelty that a serious gun, thing I notice with the hornet 17 they seem to rip things up, ok if you like wasting rabbits but I like to eat the little buggers or give to friends to eat but still there is this little devil on my shoulder keeps telling me go on you know you want the 10/22 but I will go with the Cz the way things are looking I want a gun not a plaything

Edited by Ghost-Slug

My 22 hornet is more than capable of head popping 9 times out of 10 out to 175 yards, if the 17 shooters are to be believed, theirs will do it further and for less driver input.

I'm not sure about you, but I don't eat the heads! (plus if you do headshot them with a 35gn vmax there isn't exactly a lot of head left to take up space in the bin)

• Like 1

I Have custom Ruger 10/22 75 round mag great fun gun to use traded the Cz, 22 bolt in for it

Never had the hornet as it would be two expensive for my rabbit shooting so opted for the Hmr perfect for rabbits and foxes

I tend not to shoot past 100yds as most is done out of a vehicle with the engine running and in the dark

I think it depends on what type of shooting you will be doing

• Like 1

Thanks' lads I shoot rabbits mostly, and with a 12, 410, or 16 bore I also use a weihrauch 80k, but now I have more time I'm

looking to get back into our sport and have been looking at different guns, But which one I love them all, Cz or Weihrauch 22lr or

17hmr,

I have the Cz Hmr cheap enough to shoot and if a fox appears good enough to shoot those also

Out of all the calibres I have the Hmr is the most used then the. 22

Some people just love to hate the calibre it's a bit like the land-rover hated by some but loads own them

How about WMR? No ammo problems. Bit more bullet weight, bit better in a wind.

Light bullets available.

Mine has all but made my LR redundant.

U.

I retired my hmr then bought a wmr and much preferred it being totally honest.

30gn vmax all the way imho, had about 1k of the 25gn ntx because I was getting them at 6 quid a box but down range grouping wasn't as good as either the 30 vmax, 30 jhp or the 33 remmy accutip.

It's every bit a 150yd gun imho, it will go further once you learn its drops but past 125 ish it becomes a bodyshot rifle for me rather than a head popper like the hornet is.

Interestingly, I've had less meat damage from 30 vmax rounds on body shots than I did the 30jhp and both give noticeably less damage than the hmr most of the time (unless you get one of those shots that just lasers through the bunny and misses anything solid and doesn't expand)

• Like 1

How about WMR? No ammo problems. Bit more bullet weight, bit better in a wind.

Light bullets available.

Mine has all but made my LR redundant.

U.

I retired my hmr then bought a wmr and much preferred it being totally honest.

30gn vmax all the way imho, had about 1k of the 25gn ntx because I was getting them at 6 quid a box but down range grouping wasn't as good as either the 30 vmax, 30 jhp or the 33 remmy accutip.

It's every bit a 150yd gun imho, it will go further once you learn its drops but past 125 ish it becomes a bodyshot rifle for me rather than a head popper like the hornet is.

Interestingly, I've had less meat damage from 30 vmax rounds on body shots than I did the 30jhp and both give noticeably less damage than the hmr most of the time (unless you get one of those shots that just lasers through the bunny and misses anything solid and doesn't expand)

Yes, your findings are as mine.

U.

Thank you for your input I did shoot my mates cz512 wmr and liked it, we were just plinking again with the auto you tend to get trigger happy but I had overlooked the wmr thank you for it throwing in the mix well worth considering

Best Regards,,,Will

Edited by Ghost-Slug

Thank you for your input I did shoot my mates cz512 wmr and liked it, we were just plinking again with the auto you tend to get trigger happy but I had overlooked the wmr thank you for it throwing in the mix well worth considering

Best Regards,,,Will

You can photos of my WMR in action in my hunting photos ?
  • Like 1

Someone else said it, what do you want to do with it?

Not many people would suggest a Hornet is their normal go to rabbit rifle.

Hornet and headshot bunnies should be straightforward generally just the same, but a Hornet is a VERY different rifle to a 10/22 in .22lr.

Without being funny the question is daft as it stands, and now apparently WMR may be a contender...what about HMR then?????

• Like 1