It's Official, Foxes Are Not Afraid Of Terriers.

Well not mine anyways, LOL.

I went for a ramble this morning as it was getting bright bringing a couple of terriers with me.

In the second field here was a large dog fox rooting so I crouched down behind an upright girder that was a gate post and started calling using my hand.

The two terriers were loose in front of me. I wasn't expecting this fox to come as it's well lamped country but he flew to me.

One terrier was having a good sniff around and the other was standing looking at me wondering what the hell I was doing.

They were about 20 foot from me and the fox came within 30 or so foot of them.

He took a piss and then stood watching them.

He couldn't see me but could see the terriers.

He was watching them intently and it was only when one of the terriers winded him did he bolt for it.

The terriers took off after him .

Thanks to the frost I could follow them for 3 fields before I met them coming back.

I was going to bring the lurcher and am glad now I didn't.

Have a nice day.

was out lamping foxes a few year back when i started calling a fox a hare came within 20 yards of us and the lurcher it then followed us all the way up the field never seen it happen before or since...

• Like 1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well not mine anyways, LOL. I went for a ramble this morning as it was getting bright bringing a couple of terriers with me. In the second field here was a large dog fox rooting so I crouched down b

Fox knew your terriers,knew he was safe as f**k.

As has been said before, the genuine hunter / countryman / fieldsport lover has maximum respect for the quarry and can appreciate and respect what fascinating animals they are when watched in differen

I've had a hare follow me and my lurcher around ferreting one day,it stayed down wind and out of sight of the dog.Had a fox take a silkie chicken in broad daylight running between me and a chained pitbull, only about ten feet between me and the dog.I just watched in disbelief.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 3

They are definitely not afraid of Londoners here in Hackney that is for sure.

All the best

Nor in Harringay. Last year my daughter was sunbathing in her garden. Went in to get a drink of water. When she went back out, there was a fox lying on her sun lounger.

• Like 4

After writing that post heard lurchers and Russell bitch going off.Went out with a torch.Three foxes standing up against chicken wire fence around my yard with dogs going ballistic.Theyed walked across a fairly big open paddock.I locked the terrier up and went to release the runners but the foxes had pissed off.The terrier's on heat at the moment.Had foxes hanging round when bitches are in season before but these looked like they were on a suicide mission.Is this common behaviour?

All the best

Nor in Harringay. Last year my daughter was sunbathing in her garden. Went in to get a drink of water. When she went back out, there was a fox lying on her sun lounger.

Had it sun cream on,hope so,lol.

All the best

Dunno. It was bright red though, so probably not. (These foxes... not as clever as they think)

All the best

Dunno. It was bright red though, so probably not. (These foxes... not as clever as they think)

Tell yourv daughter to leave it out next time,dont want the fox geting sun burnt do we now haha.

You may go back to scratch with your breeding program Neil.

There used to be a forum Liam about 12 or 13 years ago called "The BullTerrier Times."

You'd have loved it, loads of history on the old Irish Staffords etc.

It was ran by a lad from London,(I think) called Mario and one day he asked did anyone use their Staffs on the lamp for foxes ?

Me and my big mouth replied to not ask such stupid questions because if a Staff could catch a fox then foxes would be extinct. A stupid question.

A couple of days later I was exercising about 5 terriers with that pit bull ,Pepper (she was around 30 lbs) when the terriers mobbed a fox in a ditch but didn't hold him.

He ran down the middle of a big field and Pepper pulled him down fair and square on the run.

I had to eat my words (although I didn't tell the boys on the forum.).

I was lucky too. Where Pepper caught her fox was near an active Badger sett I didn't know about. The Fox was heading for it and I nearly had 5 terriers and a Pit Bull in it, :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek: .

There used to be a forum Liam about 12 or 13 years ago called "The BullTerrier Times."

It was ran by a lad from London,(I think) called Mario and one day he asked did anyone use their Staffs on the lamp for foxes ?

Me and my big mouth replied to not ask such stupid questions because if a Staff could catch a fox then foxes would be extinct. A stupid question.

A couple of days later I was exercising about 5 terriers with that pit bull ,Pepper (she was around 30 lbs) when the terriers mobbed a fox in a ditch but didn't hold him.

He ran down the middle of a big field and Pepper pulled him down fair and square on the run.

I was lucky too. Where Pepper caught her fox was near an active Badger sett I didn't know about. The Fox was heading for it and I nearly had 5 terriers and a Pit Bull in it, :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek: .

Fit ones were good for a burst of speed,the only thing mine pulled down was a very pissed of Mule.

• Like 1

Fit ones were good for a burst of speed,the only thing mine pulled down was a very pissed of Mule.

Liam, was it yourself on here a while back offering a red fell type for stud? Could be wrong but your name rings a bell for some reason? Pm if like.

Liam, was it yourself on here a while back offering a red fell type for stud? Could be wrong but your name rings a bell for some reason? Pm if like.

No Mary it was not me,have red dogs,but none out to stud.I offered myself at one stage,but got just two offers one from a Morphodite,the other from some fellow who breeds razorback pigs in Aleppo.

• Like 1

No Mary it was not me,have red dogs,but none out to stud.I offered myself at one stage,but got just two offers one from a Morphodite,the other from some fellow who breeds razorback pigs in Aleppo.
Lol, fair enough Liam, I'll do a search see I can I find thread, thanks anyways.
  • Like 1

Just read an article in the local paper about farmers losing full grown sheep.Apparently foxes are packing up to take down adult ewes,the old farmer said they had never seen this behaviour before.One morning I saw what I thought was a large dingoe cross the road out of a paddock full of lambs,I pulled over and it was a fox that was the size of slightly built German shepherd.I doubt it would be bothered by my little 5kg Russell.

Just read an article in the local paper about farmers losing full grown sheep.Apparently foxes are packing up to take down adult ewes,the old farmer said they had never seen this behaviour before.One morning I saw what I thought was a large dingoe cross the road out of a paddock full of lambs,I pulled over and it was a fox that was the size of slightly built German shepherd.I doubt it would be bothered by my little 5kg Russell.

In the last 10 or so years there's been reports from farmers seeing packs of foxes trying to pull down calves.

After writing that post heard lurchers and Russell bitch going off.Went out with a torch.Three foxes standing up against chicken wire fence around my yard with dogs going ballistic.Theyed walked across a fairly big open paddock.I locked the terrier up and went to release the runners but the foxes had pissed off.The terrier's on heat at the moment.Had foxes hanging round when bitches are in season before but these looked like they were on a suicide mission.Is this common behaviour?

It's an old wives tale that a fox will approach a bitch in heat and manys a man claims to have tied a hot bitch to a tree and let the fox cover her.

But the truth is that dogs are canines and foxes are vulpines. It can't happen.

It's like us always slagging of the Welsh for being sheep shaggers but in truth they don't do it that often.

• Like 3