Sign in to follow this  
jok

Nice Little Roe Antler Thumb Stick.

image_zpszdjb83t5.jpeg

Thought you might like this. It's always difficult to fashion a thumb stick with differing tine thicknesses. I trimmed and shortened the tickets tine and added black buffalo horn to give it some symmetry. Also the coin inlaid is a 1917 silver sixpence which is fairly unusual. The shaft is made from kiln dries ash which I've stained and polished. All in all not a bad little thing. The recipient doesn't yet know he's having it. Jok.

• Like 9

Eh up Devon. Yes it worked OK. It's finished on the tip and, if you have a close look, down the right side where I trimmed it, in black buffalo horn. Polished up a treat. Jok.

Speaking of. Devon . Have you any antler lying around. I'm keen to do a few more. Jok.

Thank you Griff. Yes it's been a while but I've been really busy with the boxes. The sticks are something I had a go at some years ago and just thought it would be nice to have a change. Originally I was going to use hazel but my mate makes snooker cues so I had one of his blanks which worked grand. If I can obtain more antler I'll do something similar to your fantastic knife carvings. I've got the Dremel up and running so can have a bit of a go. Looking forward to a few evening projects. Jok.

• Like 1

Speaking of. Devon . Have you any antler lying around. I'm keen to do a few more. Jok.

what sort of thing you after jok ? i know ive a box of bits in the workshop somewhere not sure if theres any full antlers in though ! i have a bit of a look in morning

Well Devon. It's a bit like the blind leading the blind. I've certainly got ideas in my head and it would involve all sorts of antler. However, unlike our good friend Griff, The Master, I'm limited to what fits the obvious diameter of the antler crown. That being said, I'm going to have a go at anything so therefore anything is a bonus as at the minute I have nothing. As I mentioned to Griff I have the Dremel up and running so willing to task anything. Jok

Yes Larry. I loved the running hare on the old silver three pennies piece. Would like one of them for a stick. Something different never hurts does it? Jok.

• Like 1

good job jok there plenty nice coins an badges with trout an salmon on them an bit heat shrink on the bottom could make a nice wading stick for the fishermen

Yes Larry. I loved the running hare on the old silver three pennies piece. Would like one of them for a stick. Something different never hurts does it? Jok.

Edited by Stockpot
  • Like 3

I'll have a look now mate. There's one or two on here making enquiries so I'd better shape up. Jok.

• Like 1

I see what you mean Stockpot. They mostly seem too big but I like some of the designs. That leaping salmon would certainly fit the bill. Thanks for the heads up. Jok.

so carving type bits then ?from what i remember theres some small palmated bits "flatish " and a load of straight pieces dont think there will be any forks though ,ill have a squint after lunch

• Like 1

LUNCH???? You live well. Ffs I get one meal a day when I'm lucky. Lol. Thank you for looking my friend. Don't exactly know where all this is going but I'm going for it anyway. Jok.

that IS the only meal of the day :laugh: just tried to upload to photo***cket and given up " now i remember what its like out in the sticks with a crap internet speed and connection :(:thumbdown: " these may do a small opinel ,any use ? depends on what your planning

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6yw5kthvjintir3/2017-02-28%2017.58.36.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9kecmk7g9nld25/2017-02-28%2017.59.01.jpg?dl=0

thats if the wooluf dont get them first :laugh: