Another Good Day At Black Cat And ....... A New Rifle.

........... It really doesn't get any better - I was supposed to be at work today but, I've done loads of hours lately and, I had enough staff in so, there was only one thing for it - grab a couple of rifles and bugger off down the club :)

It wasn't crowded but there was a lot of people there that I'm getting to know. Roger, the club secretary was there - good bloke and a character. Nige was there, he likes a good moan does Nige. Davy and Si were there. Polish Leo was there, he needs to hurry up and sort some NV. There was a whole bunch of others there - a lot of different personalities that all help to make it a good day.

A few weeks ago I was talked into joining the club pistol competition.

I'd never used a pistol before but I thought, why not, and signed up.....

It's for teams of 2. We all shoot 5 shots at 3 targets fron 6yrds once a month. The winning team gets a box of chocolates each.

So, I just needed a partner - I shouted over to the plinkinking bench but, alas, no one wanted to play with me (I know, it's sad ennit :cry:).

Then I got talking to a bloke called Daren (or Alan, I can't remember, I'm crap with names :rolleyes:). He said he'd never shot pistol before but was happy to give it a go.

Considering some of the experience at the club, I didn't fancy our chances.

I did my targets with the clubs HW40 and, surprisingly, came away with a decent score.

Daren stepped up and put his first shot slap bang in the center of the target - f***ing rock on :o;)

It turned out that our team were joint first place for the first round and, today I got my chocolates :thumbs:

I shot my second round today - Daren did his yesterday. It's early days but, I think we've got another pretty good score.

I surprised myself by hitting a bullseye today :thumbs:

..... I won't be buying a pistol any time soon but, it is fun :yes:

post-102688-0-71469100-1481478115_thumb.jpg

post-102688-0-74461400-1481478128_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I dropped in on my favourite RFD a couple of weeks ago. Now, this is a place that I really do need to learn to exercise some self control :rolleyes:

...... up on the wall I spotted an Impact GSX100 .177 in an American Walnut stock. It turned out that it was just over a year old.

I took it down, held it, bought it.

Then I wanted some decent glass for it so, I also bought a Hawke Sidewinder half mildot. I really rate Airmax scopes but, I'd never had a Sidewinder.

Now, I must admit, I had intended to give this to my brother. He's had a rough year and, I though this would be a good way to get him out but - he's not having this :no:

So, to reassure myself that I'm not actually a prick, he's got a very nice drone coming - that was always more his thing anyway :thumbs:

So far, I'm very impressed with this Impact. I love how it looks and handles. It has a 17 shot mag and, it's very quiet.

The action is very Theobenesque - the block is the same shape and, it has the scalloped section for single pellet loading.

It says is has a working pressure of 220bar. I've been filling it to 200bar and getting 4 mags (68 shots) down to around 100bar.

At the moment it seems to like JSB Heavies but, I want to do some more testing with some of the other usual suspects before settling on a regular pellet.

I took this and the TX to black Cat today. After the usual big dose of springer indulgence, I put the impact through it's paces on the various targets at different ranges - rifle and scope did very well.

I did some 17 shot groups at 30 and 40yrds. There was a small amount of wind but, the 40yrd group has got me thinking that I may yet find a better pellet.

All in all, I'm well impressed with this rifle. It's well made, slick to use, nice to look at, accurate and quiet.

........ I think I mave bettered my HW100 :o

post-102688-0-35692000-1481480164_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I looked at the GSX 200 and 100 before getting my HM. Always been a fan of the elan you've you see.

Thing is with rifles like this or that, is there two flamin expensive to take out in the field on a cold winters day, rain, dirt, possibility of scratches. Well, they are for me anyway.

Super images though Jon.

• Like 1

Thing is with rifles like this or that, is there two flamin expensive to take out in the field on a cold winters day, rain, dirt, possibility of scratches. Well, they are for me anyway.

I know exactly what you mean mate.

We had very little growing up, I think that's why I'm so careful with this sort of kit now.

I was out shooting with a mate a few months ago - he dropped his rifle and it hit concrete. I knew what it was just from the sound - that cold jolt shot through me when I heard it :o

I would have absolutely f***ing died if that had been my rifle.

I keep sheets of kitchen roll in a pocket on my dpm smock so that I can wipe my rifle over if it gets moisture on it when I'm out :laugh:

Your HM is another very nice rifle :thumbs:

...... Haven't seen it for a while though?

• Like 1

I know exactly what you mean mate.

We had very little growing up, I think that's why I'm so careful with this sort of kit now.

I was out shooting with a mate a few months ago - he dropped his rifle and it hit concrete. I knew what it was just from the sound - that cold jolt shot through me when I heard it :o

I would have absolutely f***ing died if that had been my rifle.

I keep sheets of kitchen roll in a pocket on my dpm smock so that I can wipe my rifle over if it gets moisture on it when I'm out :laugh:

Your HM is another very nice rifle :thumbs:

...... Haven't seen it for a while though?

Neither have I. It's just wrapped up. It's perhaps just a nice thing to own.

That's the issue, I darent take it out. 1600 pounds is a lot of money to me and I'd hate for something to happen to it.

Its such a contradictory item to own. Makes no sense.

• Like 1

I don't see anything wrong with taking good care of your kit. I would also be really hacked off to damage any gun in any way by less than careful handling. I see anglers chucking gear on the bank, my gear is like brand new, any rod or reel looks like it has just come out of the shop.

I remember clay shooting one day when a tiny fragment of a clay I had just shot, hit the forend of a brand new trap gun and put a dent in the middle of the chequering, I was both gutted and fcuking angry but nobody to blame which didn't help the situation one bit or my mood for that matter.

It's called pride of ownership.

Phil

• Like 3

How much was it JJ

or do you not want the wife to find out lol :rtfm::laugh:

atvbjimmy :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

She never reads these forums but, just in case ...... it was £50 mate :whistling::laugh:

.... I paid £750 for it :thumbs:

• Like 2