Today on a wander before work I was after bagging something for my ferrets and took my hw99. Today all of a sudden it's started making a horrible noise when cocking - it sounds like a loud spring coil graunching noise. Iv only put just under 3000 pellets through it so surely nothings worn out? It's an imp and I really don't want to open it up and look inside as it still shoots mint. Does anyone have an idea what it could be? I had to go straight to work so not looked yet but and ideas what to check for would be great before I have a look.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Borrowed a 99 once, from a superb friend, was an imp in fact, made a simlair sound, nothing like what I imagine you describing... but it' was up there in terms of performance. Quite literally one of t

Rez iv tried to keep it as oldschool as possable in appearence without its "horrific querks" but still kept it's look as I remember my old HW85 that created so many great childhood airgunning memories

it was bloody cold this morning, it might be one of the plastic preload washers has gone! plastic/delrin gets brittle as feck when its freezing

Hi rez! Iv had a think and if it needs opening up I'll prob send it back to them I don't want to spoil their handy work allthough I would love to look inside too!. Iv just got in and had a quick look and now I'm indoors where its quieter it feels like it's something to do with the cocking shoe?! It still shoots mint so hopefully nothing wrong inside! I'll do a bit of research.

Thanks villaman! i just been looking online and found some info bout that it looks like there's a revised linkage? What should this type of galling sound like? - this sounds like something riding over spring coils would cocking link galling sound like that?

Borrowed a 99 once, from a superb friend, was an imp in fact, made a simlair sound, nothing like what I imagine you describing... but it' was up there in terms of performance. Quite literally one of the best rifles I've shot. Ahhhhhh. The memories.

Send me yours tom, I'll spend a month with it and see how we get on ;)

Failing that. I'll give you a big round ONE HUNDRED BEANS for it and a rabbit skin. Yeah? :D

• Like 4

Lol. The sound you described - it is like that, but now 50 times louder!

Get it apart. What have you got to lose. Let us know.

Bet the sticker... if there is one says "your a bell end, your warranty is now void" knowing SFS. If I did a company, mine would.

I'll have a look tommorow and update - I don't want to open it up to be honest incase I spoil it. If it is the cocking link galling any ideas what i should I look for?

Your gonna go half way to a full strip by just getting to the link... do it. Jesus. You can bring back to life an old 85 mate. The possibility is you'll make it even better.

• Like 1