Choosing a dog ?

Guest ripstop
Ok, so its best to stay away from patterdales as i dont want a dog going to ground all the time.

Leon

youve got it in one, not being nasty mate just an opinion. all terrier men (diggers) will say the same, id go with a bedlington whippet as they are good for mooching , good in cover and if you ever want to lamp rabbits youve got that option, = they tend to be a loyal dog, all the best ripstop

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ripstop
Cheers but i dont like the beddy x whippets, they just look to skinny lol

Ive just seen pics of poachers old staff x russel and isnt it a belter

Would you buy a male or female dog if oyu were me ?

Leon

poachers staff russell was cracking dog but was bred like that for a reason ;) but at the end of the day its your coice cheers rip

Leon-b,

Mate I’m not having a go but what’s the point of asking people for advice when you’re not going to take it? It sound like that you’ve already made your mind up and you have gone with looks over working ability.

Don’t think by crossing a staff with a JRT your going to end up with the dog you have inside your head (I hope that makes sense).

Guest ripstop
Leon-b,

Mate I’m not having a go but what’s the point of asking people for advice when you’re not going to take it? It sound like that you’ve already made your mind up and you have gone with looks over working ability.

Don’t think by crossing a staff with a JRT your going to end up with the dog you have inside your head (I hope that makes sense).

WHY DONT YOU TRY A SPANIEL, THERE EXCELLENT AT BUSHING, HAVE GOOD NOSES FRIENDLY AND GOOD COATS, OR MAYBE ONE OF THEIR CROSSES, ALWAYS AN OPTION AND NICE TO TRAIN IF YOUVE GOT THE TIME AND ENERGY

I see where your coming from guys, i am taking your advice i just dont like the beddy whippet, im just not looking for something that skinny and tall. But i have been looking at some of the other breeds you guys mention.

I've heard spaniels can be a bit scatty, although we have one on the shoot and its an amazing worker, it'll go through any bush after the birds.

Leon

Don't take offence mate, because none is intended, but you seem to be more interested in the looks of your dog, rather than it's abillity. Most dogs will take the occasianal rabbit or rat when the oppertunity presents itself, my brothers boxer gets the occasional rabbit. (not many mind!) If you want a dog as a companion & for the odd bit of sport here & there, get whatever dog you like, but leave the workers for working. :thumbs:

Guest oldskool

for what you want mate a collie would do your job.... and theyre very biddable too... if it has to be a terrier then a leggy fox terrier type may be the ticket... if it does go to ground you can probably call it out