Choosing a dog ?

I will be getting me own dog in about a years time :laugh: I know its not exactly close but i want to know what im gunna get so i can research it etc..

I want a medium sized dog which can be used to hunt rabbit and rats and maybe work with ferrets :)

It will have to be hardy and able to sleep outside with me when i go camping.

Know of any breeds or crossbreeds ?

Leon

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ripstop
I will be getting me own dog in about a years time :laugh: I know its not exactly close but i want to know what im gunna get so i can research it etc..

I want a medium sized dog which can be used to hunt rabbit and rats and maybe work with ferrets :)

Leon

WHIPPET, BEDLINGTON WHIPPET, OR COLLIE WHIPPET ALL WILL BE GOOD FOR WHAT YOU NEED, BUT IF ITS A TERRIER THEN GO FOR A PLUMMER

The dog wont be going to ground or lamp so it doesnt need to be reall small or on the other hand pretty big so it can chase the Wabbits, When i say catch rabbits i mean bushing etc

Leon

terriers do catch rabbits but I wouldn't give up their day jobs, I mean they dont catch many rabbits on their own but a good crack all the same, good luck.

Leon

Dear Leon, wish you all the best, a quick reponse dog able for rat and rabbit is most likelely if seleting is a jack of good working stock, a1 reflexes, tp levelprey drive

Cheers for the replies :thumbs:

I really like the look of staffs but would like a dog that is maybe a bit smaller and good at hunting, Thats why i asked about the staff x.

Which dogs do they cross staffs with and what one would suit me ? (Able to hunt well in cover, Sleep out in the winter with me, lots of energy and fairly easy to train)

Leon

I really like the look of staffs but would like a dog that is maybe a bit smaller and good at hunting, Thats why i asked about the staff x.

Which dogs do they cross staffs with and what one would suit me ? (Able to hunt well in cover, Sleep out in the winter with me, lots of energy and fairly easy to train)

Leon

If you like the look of a staff but want something smaller

then get a patterdale mate

:drink:

Guest ripstop

Leon

If you like the look of a staff but want something smaller

then get a patterdale mate

:drink:

PATTERDALES ARE BRED TO GO TO GROUND - LET IT STAY THAT WAY + IF THE DOG IS OUT BUSHING AND COMES ACROSS A SETT THEN THE DOG HAS A CHANCE TO GO TO GROUND , THEN YOUR ASKING FOR TROUBLE. PEOPLE SAY WHY CANT THEY JUST BE BUSHING AND MOOCHING DOGS, WELL LIKE I SAID THEY ARE BRED FOR A PURPOSE AND IF YOU RESPECT THAT PURPOSE AND THE PEOPLE WHO WORK THEM THEN GO FOR A PLUMMER OR RUSSELL AS THEY ARE GOOD LITTLE MOOCHING DOGS WITH A SMALLER PREY DRIVE, JUST A BIT OF ADVICE ALL THE BEST IN YOUR QUEST RIPSTOP