Hi all I've sold all my guns for a fresh start and after christmas intend on replacing them. I'm going for a .243 for sure probably a Tikka, Rem 700 or Howa 1500 not sure which.

I'm also after a smaller foxing calibre what are your thoughts. I'm thinking 17 Hornet or .22 hornet to be used out to max 200 yards.

I've just bought a semi auto .22lr AR so dot need another rim fire. Previously owned a .22-250 and .17hmr and fancy a change.

Any advice on which .243 and either .17 or .22 hornet will be appreciated

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

I have a 22 Hornet and my pal has a 17 Hornet. If you're only shooting out to 200 yards there's not a lot in it. Any further and I'd suggest the 17 Hornet has the edge.

Having said all that, I'm going to develop a load for the 22 Hornet using 40gr V-Max. If I can get this up to 3,000fps it may well keep up with the 17 Hornet.

From a cost perspective, you should be able to pick up a cheap 22 Hornet and barrel wear doesn't seem to be too much of an issue. I picked mine up for £150 from my local RFD who also shortened the barrel by 1" to remove the open sights and screwcut. He also threw in around 30 Winchester rounds and it had an old 4x scope on too :)

_20161013_165356_zpsml0kkmhv.jpg

The stock was/is gorgeous but I've been given a varmint stock foc so I'm considering bedding this and using it instead for the higher comb.

Good luck and enjoy!

Edited by Elliott

Cheers Elliot. The stock Is stunning on that rifle mate. How does the .22 hornet perform on fox?

I'm planning on chest shooting them as I did with the .22-250

Regards

Dan

Hit a fox right with a .22 hornet, the fox won't know if its been hit with a hornet a .243 or .308 it will be just as dead :thumbs:

Ive got a P/H 1200 in .243 its a cracker,shot Fallow/Red and Fox with it .Came screwcut and delivered for £200 .ive put a S N B 8x56 on it and will keep it .Tikka,s and Sako,s are very nice but this is a great all round work horse ,Choose your ammo and it cover,s all the bases .55gr for fox 105 gr Geco for deer and some go lower and use them on crows .atb

Had a play with some 40gr V-Max today with the Hornet using 12.5gr of Lil Gun. More accurate than my 223 at 100 yards!

I imagine it'll only be doing around 2,700fps so probably only good out to 200 but to be fair that's probably a sensible limit for the 22 Hornet

sketch-1476625229020_zpsfbgh3vtc.png

Edited by Elliott

Fair play. I will be buying factory ammo and will be looking a some rifles after christmas. Hoping to go for something with a 16 inch barrel probably a CZ or similar. Just picked up my new .22lr M4 AR15 it's a wicked little tool but doesn't have the accuracy like the Brno mod 2