Hobs Or Jills

Personal choice and the land you work

How does the land you work effect your choices ?

Some ferrets are better at working in different conditions compared to other ferrets, for example not every ferret will work wonders in a massive and deep warren but will be perfect for smaller ones. And if you're ferreting where digging is difficult and it's a big warren then you're more likely to use a ferret who doesn't kill often, if at all. If ferreting in an area where there's lots of shrubs and bushes then a lighter coloured ferret is more likely to be used due to it being easier to spot in the bushes.

Some ferrets are better at working in different conditions compared to other ferrets, for example not every ferret will work wonders in a massive and deep warren but will be perfect for smaller ones. And if you're ferreting where digging is difficult and it's a big warren then you're more likely to use a ferret who doesn't kill often, if at all. If ferreting in an area where there's lots of shrubs and bushes then a lighter coloured ferret is more likely to be used due to it being easier to spot in the bushes.

Isnt that more personality and colour of ferret as apposed to the sex?

• Like 1

Not exactly since some tunnels within the warrens are bigger or smaller than others, and hobs are usually bigger than jills, be a not so great idea to put a hob down a narrower hole, more chance of killing due to not being able to get the rabbit to turn and bolt of it gets to a dead end since the tunnel would be smaller.
  • Like 1

Not exactly since some tunnels within the warrens are bigger or smaller than others, and hobs are usually bigger than jills, be a not so great idea to put a hob down a narrower hole, more chance of killing due to not being able to get the rabbit to turn and bolt of it gets to a dead end since the tunnel would be smaller.

right get you now . so if you have a lump of a hob their not that usefull apart from sending down a burrow to get the jills out if their laying up

• Like 1

I normally work 6/8 jills in a days ferreting the last two permissions i got where huge sandy warrens when the jills latched on to a rabbit the rabbits where able to pull the jills all over the burrow , because i believe the tubes where that wide the jills couldn't lock there feet across the tubes and hold the rabbits . i started working them with my two big hobs then it was dig one hole rabbit out .

But working the hobs on the other permissions i would be digging every rabbit out they wouldnt let nothing bolt

The best Jills I've had /seen worked etc etc.. I mean hunters and killers not sniffers and shirkers etc etc...They might be unbelievably good at finding bolting killing bunnies..But they are always curled up in the box knackered after a few hours and done by dinner time.. Good Hobs just keep scratching away at the box all the way there and all the way home after a full shift.

There's always different types of land and ground to work with your ferts..but ya cant have a different ferret for every occasion..you'd need a shed full...lol.