Diarrhoea And Sickness Treatment

I know there has been a lot written on this subject, but I thought some would be interested on latest treatment from my Vet.

Dog had been okay,but I was given a fresh Rainbow trout which I cooked removing bones, I probably have him too much, as through the night he had diarrhoea and sickness.

The next day I starved him for 24 hours, symptoms persisted phoned my Vet who gave me,

pro-kolin which is a palatable paste in a large syringe containing beneficial micro_organisms and natural binding agents 5mls twice daily.

Imodium (loperamide) 2mg capsules, give two capsules morning and night for three doses.you can buy imodium from the supermarket.

And zitac one tablet twice a day give 30 mins before feeding.

Then first feed small amount of chicken and rice, then if okay chicken and rice for next 3 days.

Dog had his first meal half an hour ago, will let you know at end of treatment if this has been successful.

Was charged £10 from the vet and £1.20 for 6 diarrhoea capsules.

Starve 24hrs then boiled chicken & boiled rice

Meant say after starving for 24 hrs then I fed a small amount of chicken and rice but when taking him out it was still running out of him, and he was continuing being sick, and as expected the dog was not looking happy, it was then, I decided to contact the Vet.

Have you checked his gums for reaction?

Press until white, they should go pink again almost instantly, if not or the reaction is slow something is defo up.

Could be infection, obstruction, disease etc

I thought the gum test is to check for hydration mushroom?

Similar to what I do c j if just a bad stomach I give promax paste for 3 days along with a bland diet followed by pro-fiber added to the bland diet for about a week alongside electrolytes then just gradually go back to the original diet..

Ope ya dog gets right soon..

Well it didn't work, dog was crying at 2 am to get out, checked in the morning two piles of the runs followed by more when let out this morning back to the vet who has put him on antibiotics metronidazole 200mg asked when last wormed which was 9 may so was given one milbemax if course of antibiotics does not work, have to take in stool samples.

Metronidazole is good stuff but only mild and whatever it is can come back n flare back up and your always best off trying to avoid antibiotics if poss unless no choice, get some promax paste and pro-fiber mate your vet will have both along with bland food they should nip it in the bud within a few days, otherwise colitis or gastroenteritis but give them two products a go first..

I always have a tub in the dog cupboard and what Iv found is its good if they've got abit of a dicky stomach if say they've had something that hasn't quite agreed with them but anything more and it doesn't do much, how is your dog now did you get the promax paste and pro-fibre, the pro-fibre is a probiotic by the way, I use natural yogurt most days but that pro fibre is better if the dog ain't right..