.220 factory loads for fox

Hi All,

was out with a couple of pals out the foxes last night. We met a couple only and got one shot. We were in a big stubble field just out of the wind and the fox came into about 150 yards, sat down and looked straight on at the gun. The shot was good and the foxy fella was bowled over backwards. The guy on the scope confirmed, the guy on the lamp confirmed and I watched it with binos. We moved on a to the next section with the intent to pick up when we came back on the loop.

But on return no fox. All the cameras were out and nothing to show for it. The bullet was a remington soft point. Normally the gun man has ballistic tips but softpoints were what he had last night. Could it have gone through without expanding or must it have been barely clipped?

Are soft points normally up to scratch?

I suspect he was suggesting Ballistic Tip.

Boat Tail is the other end of the bullet and is meant to give long range stability. A Boat Tail will have very little or absolutely nothing to do with "over" penetration, thats to do far more with the other end, FMJ, HP, Soft Point etc etc are all available with boat tail if you dig around!

I suspect you either just grazed this one or very likely couldn't find it later, its amazing how easy it is to lose a rabbit or fox when its down, and I spent about 10 minutes looking for a Roe a couple of years ago that droped on the spot.

its amazing how easy it is to lose a rabbit or fox when its down, and I spent about 10 minutes looking for a Roe a couple of years ago that droped on the spot.

I also once spent ten minutes looking for a fox and in fact missed it because it was in plain sight, they do plend in well when down, this fox i shot with my shotgun at about 25 yards, it ran about 5 yards and dropped down dead near a patch of bramble and dead bracken/undergrowth, it blended perfectly into the undergrowth in the fading light and if i hadn't have kicked its tail i would have missed where it was