Sako Quad

Just been reading up on these and they sound ideal. Does anyone on here have one that could give me some info on it?

I presume you would need to zero in your scope each time you change barrels etc.

Also wondering how you would go about getting one on a firearm certificate- would you buy , say, the 22lr complete rifle , then apply for just a .17 hmr barrel??

cheers al

If you have the cash Burris Optics have made a scope for Sako to use with the quad, check out Sako's website.

Below is a picture of it and some info

hope this helps mate :thumbs:

post-11701-1197040588.jpg

Sighting in with the Sako Quad scope

Mount the Sako Quad scope (made by Burris Optics) using the Sako or Burris scope mounts. Find the zero point for each barrel/caliber by adjusting the elevation and windage turrets follwing the scope manual. Adjust the resettable adjustment dials to zero to memorize the setting for each of the barrels/calibers. The adjustment dial colors correspond to the color coding on the barrels. You may use the "zeroing card" (supplied with the Quad rifle) to record the adjustments for each caliber.

Sighting in with a regular scope

Mount the scope using the Sako or Burris scope mounts. Zero the scope according to the scope manual for the barrel/caliber you think you will use the most frequently. Record the setting in the "zeroing card". Change the barrel, sight it in and use the zeroing card to record the number of clicks away from the original setting.

Edited by young1982
Guest JohnGalway

I have a Sako Quad in .22lr. Two friends have quads in .17HMR flavour. We only have the one barrel each. One thing to take note of is that the stock may be a wee bit short depending on your own size, but spacers are readily available. The one problem with mine in .22lr, and it seems to affect a lot of Quads in .22lr only (unless they've fixed it on the new ones), is that it often won't eject a live round. It can be fixed, but, I've heard it may affect the accuracy slightly to do so. It's not a problem that should put you off getting the .22lr barrel. there are two easy ways out, a small allen key will pry the bullet out, or simply fire it into a safe bank. They reason they get stuck is the soft head of the bullet gets caught in the start of the barrel. Again, as far as I know this only affects the .22lr (I don't know anyone with a WMR or .17Mach2 model). My rifle is a very nice accurate rifle and I'm very happy with it, that's my honest opinion, I've had it since around March '07.

As for zeroing on the different barrels, I've heard a lot of talk about this. Personally I wouldn't go near the Burris scope, to me it's a walking gimmick (I'm not being argumentative at all just stating my opinion :) ). I have an MTC Viper 4-16x50 mounted on mine and I can remove the barrel and replace no problems, if you mount a scope so close to the barrel that you can't remove the barrel you're gonna have problems with any of them. If I were to get say a HMR barrel as well, since my scope has target style turrets, I could write down the position of the HMR zero and the .22lr zero, then use those after a barrel change. Simple solution to a simple problem. Even if you're putting a scope with hunter style turrets on, all you've got to do is count the clicks between the different zeros and write it down.

Sako owns Tikka and both are owned by Beretta. So the background and pedigree is good.

I think too many people get wound up in this quad business...just think about it for a minute! How many people have/want or need a .22LR, a .17HMR, .22WMR and .17Mach 2. And then consider what sort of case would you have to put to your FLO for a ticket for all 4.

Just consider it as a single calibre rifle, the vast majority of people buy a Sako quad as .22LR anyway. If you want another calibre at some stage by all means go for it, but then also consider the scope (as has already been said), and remember you will always end up with a single use rifle, ie you can't take it out in .17HMR and give your lad the .22LR to use at the same time.

Then of course consider how much it costs.

From my point of view the jury is still out on the Quad. I have been running BRNO and CZ more recently for years, and had been promising myself a Sako Finnfire Hunter when the finances allowed..as that time approached the Finnfire was discontinued..... so I bought a new CZ and not quad!

Now...this is from a guy who has 3 Berettas and a Tikka centrefire so I am obviously a fan of the brand! I'm not for one minute trying to put you off the quad but just consider it carefully before forking out all that folding!

Deker

Edited by Deker

Deker to my mind you talk much sence here, i have the .22s and then the 22 centrefires etc, i bought the 17 hmr for the in between, but then i realised there is no real in between, well not in my work anyway, within a month i flogged the 17 just could not see the point in it, the only thing i could see people wanting it for was blowing up rabbits further away and making a bloody pulp out of them.

Those of you who like them fair play, i just dont see the point in having 4 rifles all near as dammit the same calibre. :boxing::gunsmilie:

Cheers boys. I think it looks great ( the synthetic one) and it doesnt get a bad write up anywhere- the only negative comments seem to be that its a bit "gimmicky", although i would like to know more about what john galway wtote about the bullet getting caught in the start of the barrels on the .22 lr- a possible problem.

I must be thinking hard about it because i was sodding dreaming about it last night!

Like it was mentioned, the clicks for the scope settings could be recorded on barrel change and set accordingly. I suppose most of us have a "best/dear" set of sights so this set up would be good for always using them instead of changing. Cheers anyway people, i wont be getting any more guns now till spring/summer so ive got plenty of time to make my executive decision!

Edited by trappa
Guest JohnGalway
Cheers boys. I think it looks great ( the synthetic one) and it doesnt get a bad write up anywhere- the only negative comments seem to be that its a bit "gimmicky", although i would like to know more about what john galway wtote about the bullet getting caught in the start of the barrels on the .22 lr- a possible problem.

I must be thinking hard about it because i was sodding dreaming about it last night!

Like it was mentioned, the clicks for the scope settings could be recorded on barrel change and set accordingly. I suppose most of us have a "best/dear" set of sights so this set up would be good for always using them instead of changing. Cheers anyway people, i wont be getting any more guns now till spring/summer so ive got plenty of time to make my executive decision!

Ok. It doesn't happen all of the time, but does happen the majority of the time in my rifle. I have also heard it happening in other Quad .22lr's. Axe, who I think is now a member here had his sent back to be adjusted. I have heard this can have an effect on accuracy so I didn't do that just incase.

What happens is the soft head of the .22 bullet gets pushed into the start of the barrel proper by the bolt when you load it. I use Eley subs, on other makes of bullets it can be quite hard to close the bolt, depends on the round you use. Anyway, back to the Eley subs. If I have loaded the rifle and then I don't take the shot, sometimes when I open the bolt the live round will stay in the chamber and the rest of the time it'll fly out as normal, it's held there because the top of the bullet has been pushed into the start of the barrel proper. I guess the extractor isn't strong enough to remove it.

To be very honest I don't find it a problem. I always carry a little allen key with me, that was I can remove the bullet very easily should I need to. I have not noticed any affect on accuracy, my rifle is quite accurate infact. All it amounts to is a few seconds messing around.

Probably the only other .22lr rifle I'd trade it in for would be a Sako Finnfire.

Edited by JohnGalway

Off thread a bit i know but on the subject of 17 HMR,several of my mates bought them when they came in'fashion' but every one of them has since traded them in for various other calibres .Its a job to say what this calibre excells on that others dont .Its loud,meat damaging and not really up to fox so.........................

Guest JohnGalway

.17HMR, in my experience of shooting my friends HMR many many times, is an outstanding calibre for sniping safely grounded winged vermin such as magpies, greycrows, carrion crows etc. I've never shot a rabbit with one so can't comment on meat damage (would imagine you'd need to headshoot them, I know a lot of lads do). For the winged vermin it's got extra legs on the .22lr yet isn't as expensive, loud, or potentially dangerous, as a full on centrefire, just my opinion.

John, the reason the .22lr gets stuck is because the .22lr barrel is MATCH chambered. This gives better accuracy in this calibre than a std chamber. Most aftermarket ruger 10/22 barrels are match chambered and wont extract a live round also.We have to inform everyone of our customers of this fact, and the safe method, especially in the dark, is to drop the mag, and empty the rifle into a safe backstop.

To be honest the last quad i sold, was the only one, NOT to go with the little burris scope, which in itself, is a top quality scope. We forget here, that the quad wasnt made for us, it was made for foreign markets like america, where there only limitation is their wallet, and barrels can be bought along with the shopping from walmart.

We have sold quite a few with .22 and 17hmr barrels, and one in 22wmr too.

Though i would agree that is best viewed as a single calibre gun, unless you are starting out maybe?