Non Hunter With Young Sighthound

Hey. I've been lurking on here for about 3 months. Arrived initially via google searches for training / nutrition advice for sighthound pup. Then started to look through the threads and got a bit hooked.

I've been debating with myself whether or not to join because I've noticed you guys can be a bit mean about people who keep dogs simply as companions, rather than to work with, (and I think I may be a fur mummy). But surely what we all want (at least as a starting goal) is a dog that is fit, healthy and trustworthy.

I had a retired racing greyhound for 10 years and never properly achieved this, due to lack of experience, knowledge and, (if I'm honest), enough effort on my part.

A poster on here commented, on an old thread, how sad it was when rescue dogs' quality of life was limited 'due to prey drive and lack of training'. So that's what I'm working on. Training. I'm not a natural dog handler, never had a pup before and I'm looking for all the help I can get.

My new little dog arrived 3 months ago, aged 5 1/2 months, inquisitive and healthy, from the refuge where he was born.

I have found this forum an amazingly useful resource so far, so huge thanks to all the contributors who've answered training questions, over the years, and to those who've been honest enough to ask for help.

Cheers

• Like 1

You have a dog with instincts it will if it happens on the opportunity explore those instincts ;)

Not being mean it's the reality.

I suggest getting it out with other similar types and allowing it to do just that.

• Like 1

You have a dog with instincts it will if it happens on the opportunity explore those instincts ;)

I suggest getting it out with other similar types and allowing it to do just that.

I may be double answering...my phone died. Yes of course, I'm fine with that. Ideally I'm hoping he won't actually catch anything as I'm embarrassingly squeamish and not good with blood or dead things. What I Would like to avoid is a dog with prey drive that I can't control. So far he's doing pretty well. He comes back to a whistle, even if playing / running with other dogs. He'll do a 'stay' for about a minute, with me walking off, and cyclists or other dogs walking by. He knows cats are 'friends not food' and will happily sit the other side of me in the kitchen and be fed treats in turn with the cat. Our local 'pets at home' has rabbits and other rodents and he's still ok to walk past them and focus on me. But he's beginning to chase things when we're out (mainly crows and squirrels where we walk) and I know that my smug 'this is all going well' thing will fall apart at some point. I'm well aware he needs to run, will chase and possibly kill. I just would like a bit of help when it gets challenging.

I may be double answering...my phone died. Yes of course, I'm fine with that. Ideally I'm hoping he won't actually catch anything as I'm embarrassingly squeamish and not good with blood or dead things. What I Would like to avoid is a dog with prey drive that I can't control. So far he's doing pretty well. He comes back to a whistle, even if playing / running with other dogs. He'll do a 'stay' for about a minute, with me walking off, and cyclists or other dogs walking by. He knows cats are 'friends not food' and will happily sit the other side of me in the kitchen and be fed treats in turn with the cat. Our local 'pets at home' has rabbits and other rodents and he's still ok to walk past them and focus on me. But he's beginning to chase things when we're out (mainly crows and squirrels where we walk) and I know that my smug 'this is all going well' thing will fall apart at some point. I'm well aware he needs to run, will chase and possibly kill. I just would like a bit of help when it gets challenging.

Jesus it's a dog not a human!

Dogs will live fine with cats, even dogs with high prey drive. Seriously get over it. If it catches a squirrel/rabbit etc etc just feed it the carcass.

And ffs stop treating it like a fuuckin child.....

Sorry hungover and grumpy ?

Jesus it's a dog not a human!

Dogs will live fine with cats, even dogs with high prey drive. Seriously get over it. If it catches a squirrel/rabbit etc etc just feed it the carcass.

And ffs stop treating it like a fuuckin child.....

Sorry hungover and grumpy ?

I know it's a f****n dog.

I grew up with a borzoi, I owned a greyhound; I know dogs with high prey drive can live with cats. It doesn't just happen by magic.

But thanks. That was helpful.

Also hungover and now very grumpy.

• Like 1

Sighthounds make very good pets. Thank goodness they do, considering the number that find their way into rescue centres or have to be retired through injury .. They love comfort and respond to affection. They don't need to be run on live prey any more than my friend's jack-russel needs to be stuffed down a fox hole , my brother's staffie needs to be in a fighting pit ,or my neighbour's rescued labrador needs to be taken shooting to have a happy life.

How come lurchers chase rabbits but ignore ferrets and livestock ? Or should!.... Coz they know bunnies are fair game . Your job,if you want to avoid finding yourself involved in an impromptu hunt, is to tick rabbits,cats,deer,cyclists etc off the list and make stuff like tennis balls ,old socks and lures fair game.

Sounds like you are already ahead of things simply by making the effort to get some steadiness into your new puppy before exposing it to too much temptation. That's a lot more than than a lot of so called working-dog men can be arsed to do.

Dogs are happiest when they know their boundaries. A dog that learns meaning of the quietly spoken and well-timed word "no"from a young age will not even bother thinking naughty thoughts toward forbidden quarry after a while. Hence there will be no need for stressful bollockings that damage the bond between owner and dog.

Avoid mixed messages-Don't resign yourself to the idea that your pup chased something because its a running dog and simply couldn't help itself. Accept that your pup chased something because you let it off the lead before it was trustworthy.

You have a running dog so let it run;teach it to hunt dummies and retrieve using one of those throwing devices that whack a tennis ball a hundred yards away with the flick of the wrist,take it lure racing,join an agility club.

Above -all have fun together .

Edited by comanche
  • Like 3
  • 1 month later...