Taking on a partner/employee, can sometimes be risky,...and I just don't mean for "Health and Safety" issues.. :whistling:

I've seen several self employed Pesters end up 'in competition ' with a man they have educated,...trust me, it hurts... :censored:

Nowadays, I only employ two helpers,...one is my dear Wife,.the other is a Collie cur,...both work dirt cheap... :laugh:

• Like 4

It dosnt matter how old they are....anyone can have an accident and if you havnt taken every step then your finished

of course anyone can have an accident but the things you or i would do to get the job done,what ever the trade isnt something i could expect some these youngsters of today to do,to busy on their phones to be able to use both hands lol

The only way to become a pest controller is to go work for a big company( I did 7 years for a national and got to treat just about everything going!), get your tickets for free, learn all the pests and how to treat em, put up with a bit of BS for a few years and have money no object for treaments. Then and only then are you able to be a pest controller.

My current boss fell into pest control as his father In law owns the business. He has done a few one day instant pest control courses over the last 3 years and still is no pesty! A course is s bit of paper and nothing more, practical experience is the best way.

The proper bpca rsph level 2 is about £1000 and that I would say is fine to teach you basics but that's it, no way would I even contemplate doing a course and chucking loads of money into a business I know nothing about! Do it on your own and it can be an expensive mistake with failed treaments etc.

Edited by ratattack
  • Like 1

My current boss fell into pest control as his father In law owns the business. He has done a few one day instant pest control courses over the last 3 years and still is no pesty!

Now that would pi££ me off so bad I would not be able to work there.

• Like 1

My current boss fell into pest control as his father In law owns the business. He has done a few one day instant pest control courses over the last 3 years and still is no pesty!

Now that would pi££ me off so bad I would not be able to work there.

Maybe so but I'm on 8k a year more where I am, do less hrs for it and get no hassle, have a say in how things are run. I am pushing him to do the RSPH level 2 and he will be doing it.

I'm quite ok with it lol

I agree with all the points and concerns about taking on a member of staff. As a one man band I have often weighed up the pros and cons. I hate turning work away but through the summer I end up giving out phone numbers coz I just don't have the time to take any more jobs on. I don't have many contract customers and deal mostly with Jo Public. Taking on much more work would mean me charging VAT on jobs and all of a sudden my pricing isn't so competitive and I lose work.

No-one is going to make a living from pest control from day one. Income will build up slowly. I know guys that have been in pest control for years and they still have full time jobs working for someone else and do their pest control part time. You'll need an alternative income until the business grows sufficiently.

The one day courses are widely derided but there is much to be learnt from them. Sure; you'll certainly not learn enough from them to feel totally confident when putting that knowledge to the test for the first time. You can't beat some hands on. I was very fortunate in that I'd built up a relationship with a local pest controller whilst I was still just doing mole work and he was more than willing to offer a guiding hand when required. I well remember the first wasp job that came in. I was nervous as hell. My mate came along and treated it himself. Those five minutes watching him were priceless. And that's what it's like for most pests. Studying for qualifications or attending courses and knowing about target species is essential but some hands on with good guidance is also required.

• Like 5