Plaice On The Yaks

A trip to look at a job in Seaton resulted in a walk on the beach with Fergs,

As always you can't resist sticking your head in the local fishing shop, which is next to the beach here..."much doing mate".. "yeah fishing well, bass, smoothounds and some nice plaice off the beach or inshore on the boats"

Well that was enough for me, bait was ordered and our little gang were there 6am on saturday morning..

White van man, Joe777, snifferboy and myself were all rigged up in wetsuits, rods with spoons, beads etc on the traces and the plaice baits rag, squid and a few peelers.

image_zpsidijbnfp.png

The lads also had a go for a few mackerel but there weren't many about, Geth had 1 and that was it...

I had my head down with only plaice on my mind, the tide was on the turn when we arrived and we fished the ebb after an hour or so and the drift felt about right I had my first knock, gave a bit of line and felt another knock.. wound down and a fish was on, it wasn't big but I was pleased with a cracking little gurnard, I love these little fish and if it was a bit bigger would of made very good eating.

image_zpsmdctj4rx.png

Joe had been struggling with his back, so decided to paddle in and have a break, Geth helped him and left me and Snifferboy at it, Sniffer was next in and the fish put a good bend in his rod, but turned out to be a doggie, not what we wanted.

Then I had a decent rattle, this felt right, gave a bit of line and wound down into a better fish that gave a good account of itself on my light gear... it surfaced and was a nice plaice of couple of pound or so... result!

Sniffer had drifted a fair way now but he shouted over to me and I could here the word "plaice"... he'd had a decent size one, I was well chuffed..

image_zpsfa3id8uc.png

I had a doggie and Sniffer had another nice plaice then it all went quiet, we paddled in closer to the estuary mouth and drifted back along the beach line, maybe 200 yrds or so off, I had a good rattle but missed it. Geth had a few bites but unfortunately didn't connect.

I managed one more plaice on the last drift before we had to join Joe on the beach and head off, we were all round Joe's later for a barbie and he had to get back.

It was a great few hours, good company, a few fish and bit of banter... can't beat it!

image_zpspndotbrs.png

image_zpsra19tc6p.png

image_zpsqddklmi5.png

• Like 14

Fairplay kev you get out and about-bet the barbie was banging.do you ever eat the doggies?don't mind them or a bit of ray.atb dc

Yeah sometimes Sean, depends if I can be assed to skin them :D , wouldn't be my favourite fish to eat, but no bones and tasty enough

Good day and good eating there mate, lovely tossed in flour and fried in a pan with home made tarter sauce

Cheers mate,we shared them out so we had 1 each to eat... I do like plaice.

• Like 2

cracking mate ,never had any plaice in 18 years there myself ,you looked to be fairly close in as well :thumbs:

Thanks mate, yeah we ended up no more than 200 yards off the beach, it seems like there's been a really good run of plaice this year.

I'm waiting for a month or so then I'll try a couple of your spots.. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Devon fighter. Beesands is fishi g really well for plaice at the moment. Some are catching over 30 plaice a session.

I'd like to get down and give beesands a go, not a beach I've fished from or kayaked off tbh

Devon fighter. Beesands is fishi g really well for plaice at the moment. Some are catching over 30 plaice a session.

I'd like to get down and give beesands a go, not a beach I've fished from or kayaked off tbh

Easy launching for your yak bud. Im going to do a wrecki g trip soon will you be intrested in going.

• Like 1

Easy launching for your yak bud. Im going to do a wrecki g trip soon will you be intrested in going.

Yes mate, let me know dates if I'm free count me in.