Won't Work Cover?

Whats happening at the moment is shes just walking along side the cover and just sticks her head in every so often

My little Patterdale crashes through cover but she won't, any little tips would be great as I'm not sure what I've done wrong

Unless I've over done the walking to heel etc

Perhaps the dog is air scenting and will only go in when there is game in there ... If another dog is flushing game that she has gone last then that's a different story ......

• Like 2

I've got a Patterdale who I beat with, she won't go into cover unless there is something in there. The first few times I took her I would look like a prat trying to send her into cover then left her to own devices and she works great.

I don't think it matters what breed of dog you have, they are all individuals and react differently in different situations. Some good advise from Joe777. Go out with just the spaniel, Get a dummy and throw into some long grass and then build up into thicker cover. I'd say your better having a cautious dog that uses all its senses rather than one that charges into everything and is at greater risk of injury.

True, thanks mate I'll keep at it I'll have a go tonight in some long grass,

But to be honest she quarters great through long cover grass reed grass etc but I'll try the dummies, what I thought about doing was shooting a few rabbits and drag them along the ground and hide them in the hedge in various places I'll keep you posted

That sounds a good idea mate. nothing worse for a young dog to put work in and not get a reward at the end of it, so having the guarantee of finding something is a must for a young dog starting out. My cocker pup is only 4 months so just getting to grips with sit and stay at the moment but when my lurcher was a pup I started her off with a dummy covered in a rabbit skin obviously not in the same way with a gun dog but the basics are still the same, hunt up, retrieve etc...

Just take your time. The way I look at it is your better of having 7-8 years of a great working companion in the field than 10-12 with a dog you start into work when not ready and pull your hair out at!

• Like 1