Wooden Half-Barrel Mole Traps

That's all well and good but no one would know how they worked without the wooden paddles. We used them on the farm for years.

Im not too sure, what you mean, fella ?,....these had wee 'triggers', made out of hazel,for setting the trap ? (god knows where they are,...found these old traps,when, clearing out the shed)

Edited by earth-thrower

When I say paddle it could indeed have been hazel. The middle hole had the piece of string or wire attached to the spring which was then trapped in the hole by the paddle. The other two wires went in a small grove inside the barrel.When Moley pushed the paddle to get passed the middle string was released and he snared with one the other wires.

When I say paddle it could indeed have been hazel. The middle hole had the piece of string or wire attached to the spring which was then trapped in the hole by the paddle. The other two wires went in a small grove inside the barrel.When Moley pushed the paddle to get passed the middle string was released and he snared with one the other wires.

I know what you mean, now,...thats right, the 'trigger string' is fed through the middle hole, in this trap, too. It has a knot, near the end, which helps hold the edge of the trigger, in the hole, ...when you let the spring back, up again,.... But, are you not maybe, 'confusing' this trap, with the old wooden 'full' barrel , mole trap ?

More than likely. I was about 6 years old at the time on the farm but still remember catching a LOT of moles. 56 years ago I suppose is confusing

Thanks, for your input, mate,...& 'respect' too you, for being a user, of the old wooden mole traps, once upon a time ?,....lol

Edited by earth-thrower
  • Like 1

More than likely. I was about 6 years old at the time on the farm but still remember catching a LOT of moles. 56 years ago I suppose is confusing

Thanks, for your input, mate,...& 'respect' too you, for being a user, of the old wooden mole traps, once upon, a time ?,....lol

Tell you what, i would love one or two, of the 'full barrel' type (in working order !),....lol,......(although im aware. theres a modern version, consisting of a 'plastic' body, these days ?,...lol )

Try a man called Bob Merrin the real cumbrian mole man he still makes full barrels out of wood, if you need his number pm me hes semi retired now and just does mole jobs he wants to but he still likes making his traps, there a joy to see

atb Volpe

Try a man called Bob Merrin the real cumbrian mole man he still makes full barrels out of wood, if you need his number pm me hes semi retired now and just does mole jobs he wants to but he still likes making his traps, there a joy to see

atb Volpe

Thanks, yes bud, ive heard of him, & managed to see, a couple of short films, about him ?,....(brilliant watch).. a proper 'old school' traditional mole catcher ?

• 1 month later...

Thanks, for your input, mate,...& 'respect' too you, for being a user, of the old wooden mole traps, once upon, a time ?,....lol

Tell you what, i would love one or two, of the 'full barrel' type (in working order !),....lol,......(although im aware. theres a modern version, consisting of a 'plastic' body, these days ?,...lol )

i have some of these old wooden "full barrel" traps kicking about somewhere!!!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

nice to see em about on the forum should still work well with some new baler twine and litlle twitch set in place. this is new wave to bobs older full barrel lol. Bob done good documenting them and showing folks how simple the making is.

mostly gone but not forgotten,and thats thanks to people who did videos and posts books ect.

keep em coming even if some have seen it.

i love moles they have given me work and earnings since a young boy and i love the moles and anything to do with em. remember you can always learn something new from something old. maybe some old guy or gal lol or some old trap.

• Like 1

i have some of these old wooden "full barrel" traps kicking about somewhere!!!

found them the other day but cant get a picture up! few of the springs with no wooden barrel too........ they worth anything to the collectors?