Best Alround Terrier?

I would of thought a jagd terrier would tick all the boxs they are the only terrier bred for allround work.

Wrong, the only terrier purposely bred as an all rounder was the plummer,look at the breeds in its make up, as for your retrieving question well all dogs can be taught to retrieve, starts with any soft toy in the garden as a pup and developed from there, I bought a good friend of mine a patterdale off a hard well known digging dog in Liverpool, my mate used to be the secretary of a working gun dog club and although a bit hard mouthed loved a day shooting/retrieving, a bit of brain and patience on both sides will do it, a good Plummer works anything you care to teach it,very intelligent and thrives on any work, Socks, you are very wrong in your assessment of terrier work, I can call all my terriers out (eventually) providing they have not engaged their quarry but if they've had a bite then its a dig, anyone with any sort of terrier would never leave home without a spade/torch,etc in the van,I find the more time you spend in the field with your animals the better they are and helps them understand whats acceptable and whats not, WM

All terriers were once bred with versatility in mind,be that ratching about helping to fill the larder,pest control,rodent and fox etc.Plummers are a long,long way down the ladder in the evolution of versatile terriers.

• Like 1

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This little dog is what I call a alrounder.at the jobs I want him to do.I can shout him of the biggest of spots .also can dig to him when needed.   I can take him ferreting .he will mark true as a

lol I dug to him enough times to know hes a digging dog , I bushed with him enough times to know he was a top bushing dog , I shot pheasant geese duck all retrieved off water as well to know he cou

IMO you can't have an all round terrier simply for the fact that a good digging dog will drop to ground as soon as it finds an occupied earth ... So if you were out for a days bushing that's your day