Nz supposed to be one of the best, the French lop is a French meat breed but supposed to have not that good a meat to bone ratio , same with the continental giant they eat way to much ,and have too much bone.

I was talking to someone once in a prepping forum and he was breeding a line of mini lops which he said was comparable to a wild rabbit.for amount of meat. I'm sure You an get growers pellets for rabbits Allen & page I think .

• Like 2

My mate has got nz and californian on the go at the moment, the crosses are meant to be the best for eating apparently. I got a californian doe for the kids off him which I might take a litter off in a couple of months.

• Like 2

I keept nz and Californan they was good eating I fed them hay veg and a breeder grower pellet I had 6 does and 2 bucks , I had to get rid when I moved out , do miss having them tho , I got my stock of a bloke that still has a farm he sends them to France , I remember I payed £28 each for them as the bloke sed it's a pound a year he has spent improveing the strain lol

I forgot the Californians ,and they do get crossed a lot with the Nz .couple years ago I considered the mini lop had a buck an doe here mated the doe, something happened think the garden flooded so moved her hutch ,while later,she gave birth,an she killed the young when they was born,or they was stillborn.

Does gone now but still got the buck as a pet as he is friendly chap makes funny movies when I go the hutch,

Have you seen where people farm guinea pigs,they are an incas delicacy ,only trouble with them is got to make sure they get vitamin c,and they can keel with colds. Etc.but some people been rearing them to eat as they take less space up.one person had them free roaming their back yard.

Can you remember what age yours were ready for butchering at mate? Everything I read says 8 weeks but these californians are not at that age so is it the strain? One of his new Zealand does came pregnant and these kits are massive in comparison but the father is a mystery.

surprising quite a few people keep them for meat. I am a member of a group on facebook called Homemade Rabbit Recipes its got over 3500 members. Some cracking recipes come up and it looks loverly. Looks a completely different beast to cook than you wild one. Obviously much more tender and softer meat i guess being farmed

Most usa forums say 70 days or 3lb killing weight. I suppose that's for profit as well.

The pellets are about 7.50 for 25kg so not too expensive but yeah there's no point running them on too long is there eating loads of grub.
  • Like 1