Evenings At The Dog Pen

Hey BlackStreak, do you hunt your lurchers on anything other than hogs mate? Either general varmint hunting or running fast stuff. You guys have a lot to go at on that side of the pond! :good:

No I don't run them on anything other than pigs for a few reasons. I have in the past while hunting pigs sent 2 dogs to a coyote. Coyotes would be 200 yards away when sending dogs so they would have a pretty good long race. Afterwards the dogs would be pretty gassed and then of course I'd find some pigs soon after.

2nd such runs will cause some swelling in my stags ankle the next day and lasts for a few days. We have cottontail rabbits and Jack rabbits here. The Jacks would be comparable to yalls hares. Same thing with his ankle when sending him to them.

3rd is i will sometimes hunt my dogs on the ground for pigs and I want them to ignore rabbits and deer and only hunt pigs. So I don't run anything other than pigs with the dogs I raise. I bought that stag when he was 2 1/2 years old and he would run everything but livestock and wasn't really able to break him of it good. He is an awsome pig dog so I just modify how I hunt with him. Wasn't any breaking him off rabbits so I let him chase a few. Coupled with the other reasons that cropped up I don't do it anymore nor do i allow young dogs to run anything but pigs when developing them. I loved watching it though. Fun fun

If I found a good whippet type dog I'd like to have a dedicated rabbit dog in the future

• Like 3

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a new phone several months back and haven't been able to post pictures to the forum from it. Giving it another go but looks like I'm gonna be one at a timing it. Every evening since th

This is my other male pup. He is my favorite out of the 3. He is much more down to business and a good hunter.

This is the 3rd pup holding his first pig on his own.

Posted Images

Those young dogs are wolfhound,deerhound, mastiff x wolfhound on the dame side and stag (deerhound greyhound) on the sire side.

would that be pure English mastiff , or bullmastiff that was used in the line ?

Hey BlackStreak, do you hunt your lurchers on anything other than hogs mate? Either general varmint hunting or running fast stuff. You guys have a lot to go at on that side of the pond! :good:

No I don't run them on anything other than pigs for a few reasons. I have in the past while hunting pigs sent 2 dogs to a coyote. Coyotes would be 200 yards away when sending dogs so they would have a pretty good long race. Afterwards the dogs would be pretty gassed and then of course I'd find some pigs soon after.

2nd such runs will cause some swelling in my stags ankle the next day and lasts for a few days. We have cottontail rabbits and Jack rabbits here. The Jacks would be comparable to yalls hares. Same thing with his ankle when sending him to them.

3rd is i will sometimes hunt my dogs on the ground for pigs and I want them to ignore rabbits and deer and only hunt pigs. So I don't run anything other than pigs with the dogs I raise. I bought that stag when he was 2 1/2 years old and he would run everything but livestock and wasn't really able to break him of it good. He is an awsome pig dog so I just modify how I hunt with him. Wasn't any breaking him off rabbits so I let him chase a few. Coupled with the other reasons that cropped up I don't do it anymore nor do i allow young dogs to run anything but pigs when developing them. I loved watching it though. Fun fun

If I found a good whippet type dog I'd like to have a dedicated rabbit dog in the future

All good points mate. Certainly a lot of dog/hound men that are focused on one quarry would agree with you.

• Like 1

Those young dogs are wolfhound,deerhound, mastiff x wolfhound on the dame side and stag (deerhound greyhound) on the sire side.

No sir. Their grand parents consisted of about 1/3 mastiff which was majority Boerboel but had dane and boxer as part of the mastiff side to give their grandparents aprox 1/3 mastiff blood. They are two out crosses removed from this family line of finder holders of 1/3 wolfhound 1/3 deerhound 1/3 mastiff. First wolfhound then stag. I'll be crossing a couple of these pups to some bull x mastiff blood

No sir. Their grand parents consisted of about 1/3 mastiff which was majority Boerboel but had dane and boxer as part of the mastiff side to give their grandparents aprox 1/3 mastiff blood. They are two out crosses removed from this family line of finder holders of 1/3 wolfhound 1/3 deerhound 1/3 mastiff. First wolfhound then stag. I'll be crossing a couple of these pups to some bull x mastiff blood

thanks, them boerboel are the most healthy of all the mastiff breeds , they are agile, and HD not to bad them compared to other big breeds, if i wanted a mastiff type breed a boerboel would be 1st chose :yes: . i like the breeding of your dogs plenty big+ strong enough and guts from the boerboel to tackle hogs :thumbs:

Wales1234, I live in Nashville so if you need anything when you arrive just let me know. I'd be happy to show you around.

BlackStreak, like seeing the pics of the dogs. I'm the same way with my bird dog. She hunts whatever she wants while we're out on walks, but if she flushes a rabbit I don't necessary encourage it.

• Like 2

The sire of the pups again. Pic isn't very good cause it was taken from across the pens. I have him in a smaller pen isolated from the other dogs in the much bigger pens because he broke a toe about weeks ago. Has healed pretty nice. Starting to ease him back into some excercise now.

post-99376-0-50427800-1461209779_thumb.jpg

• Like 3