Cant afford a ferret finder

Well I work up to 9 ferrets at a time and only one has a collar on, I've never lost a ferret in 18 yrs.

One thing that could help get going a bit cheaper if you get a mark 1 collar and use a small LW radio as a reciever, its very crude but play about with and you would get used to it. If it does work at least you can listen to the radio while you wait.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the short of it is what alot of us are saying........

we dont live in the dark ages anymore, times have changed, " technology " equipment is available to us that will help us work burrows more effectively, quicker, give us a clue what is going on underground instead of standing above ground like a lemon waiting how ever long till a ferret appears, not my idea of fun..

imagine waiting above ground for an hour wondering where the ferret was with night fall coming in... little was it known that the ferret was only 1 or 2 feet below... without a locator, how the f*ck would anyone know it was there ? with a locator you would have it out within a couple of minutes... ok things dont always run like that, but just an example.

now dont get me wrong, putting a collar on a ferret wont guarantee that it wont get lost, but not having one will increase the chances of not been able to locate it quickly..

i suspose everyone is different, but giving an excuse of, i cant afford a locator ! is poor. were not talking of £1000`s its £127. anyway, ill stick to what i do, & thats use a collar.

richie

Thanks everyone,

richie,when your yearly wage on your weekend job because you are at college all week is 500 pounds a year and you have 4 ferrets and a dog, £127 pounds is an awfull lot.that would be more than half my money

I am just going to leave it then and wait untill I am out of college.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and info. I will have to think up a plan.. :hmm:

we dont live in the dark ages anymore, times have changed, " technology " equipment is available to us that will help us work burrows more effectively, quicker, give us a clue what is going on underground instead of standing above ground like a lemon waiting how ever long till a ferret appears, not my idea of fun..

imagine waiting above ground for an hour wondering where the ferret was with night fall coming in... little was it known that the ferret was only 1 or 2 feet below... without a locator, how the f*ck would anyone know it was there ? with a locator you would have it out within a couple of minutes... ok things dont always run like that, but just an example.

now dont get me wrong, putting a collar on a ferret wont guarantee that it wont get lost, but not having one will increase the chances of not been able to locate it quickly..

i suspose everyone is different, but giving an excuse of, i cant afford a locator ! is poor. were not talking of £1000`s its £127. anyway, ill stick to what i do, & thats use a collar.

richie

Thanks everyone,

richie,when your yearly wage on your weekend job because you are at college all week is 500 pounds a year and you have 4 ferrets and a dog, £127 pounds is an awfull lot.that would be more than half my money

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and info. I will have to think up a plan.. :hmm:

christmas is coming... :D

richie

Thanks everyone,

terrierstuff, maybe you should of explained your situation before saying you cant afford a locator.. anyway £127 is for a new mk3. get your self on ebay theres a load of mk1 locators for sale, youll pick one up for less than £100. :thumbs:

Guest Magwitch

Years ago people use to feed their ferrets bread and milk snap their teeth off sew their lips up but ferreting has evolved , to breed a good working strain of ferret then set him loose in a warren uncollared is madness in my eyes. :snack:

I wouldn't go so far as to say they are essential, as is evidensed by the number of people reporting on this thread that they don't use one. However, I'd have to say that I agree with Jigsaw re I'd rather have one and not need it than not have one and regret it. Just my humble opinion. :thumbs:

Guest bigredbusa
Years ago people use to feed their ferrets bread and milk snap their teeth off sew their lips

mmm nows there an idea............. only kidding

without a shadow of doubt the locator is the way to go , maybe just keep the holes down to a min until you win the lottery

it must have been twenty years ago when i last put a ferret down the bury without a collar on,my advice would be to buy a cat collar and attach a bell to it put it around the neck of the ferret,and hope the rabbit hears the bell and bolts before the ferret gets hold of it ,also if the ferret comes out some distance away you might hear the bell,all the best.....

it must have been twenty years ago when i last put a ferret down the bury without a collar on,my advice would be to buy a cat collar and attach a bell to it put it around the neck of the ferret,and hope the rabbit hears the bell and bolts before the ferret gets hold of it ,also if the ferret comes out some distance away you might hear the bell,all the best.....

Ah, the bell on the collar. I tried it once but it doesn't work! It soon gets cloged with mud and crap, and even when it's not it doesn't hand right on the ferret so therefore doesn't 'ring' properly. Unless I just have fat, thick-necked ferrets of course!

i know how you feel terrier stuff. i'm in year 11 at the mo and have a saterday job as a beater. paying for ferret food etc, surmounts to alot when you earn £15 a week. i have 2 jills and took 1 out recently for the first time. i don't have a colar so kept to a small tree root job. managed to bolt one within the first 30 secs. the place has been hit pretty badly with mixy so numbers are low but luck have it, this one didn't. was well chuffed with self and ferret. ""i cant afford a locator ! is poor. were not talking of £1000`s its £127"" What Bull!

i know how you feel terrier stuff. i'm in year 11 at the mo and have a saterday job as a beater. paying for ferret food etc, surmounts to alot when you earn £15 a week. i have 2 jills and took 1 out recently for the first time. i don't have a colar so kept to a small tree root job. managed to bolt one within the first 30 secs. the place has been hit pretty badly with mixy so numbers are low but luck have it, this one didn't. was well chuffed with self and ferret. ""i cant afford a locator ! is poor. were not talking of £1000`s its £127"" What Bull!

whats bull !

my comment, "i cant afford a locator ! is poor. were not talking of £1000`s its £127 " ?

not really when someone doesnt explain their situation ? now if someone said £1000 fair enough, but no, £127.

if people want something bad enough and it doesnt cost the earth, then they should save. pennies make pounds !

anyway you youngsters can ask for one for xmas... :thumbs: