Cant afford a ferret finder

just to add... i was out ferreting the other day, if i never had them collared up i wouldnt of known what the f*ck was going on under me, and i wouldnt of been able to retrieve a dead bunny that was only 1ft under me that my ferret killed & left as i located him stationary for a couple of minutes so decided to dig down anyway just to have a gander.

sod ferreting without a collar. :thumbs:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people who ferret without a locators and collars are fools simple has that!!!!

I ferreted for many years without owning a locator, and I never lost a ferret! Interestingly, I never had as many problems with lay-ups as some who use locators seem to have either :hmm:

If you use common sense, fieldcraft and your eyes you'll more-than-likely have no problems at all. You may have to wait for a ferret to come out but hey, that's a good time for a cuppa anyway.

To say that those who ferret without locators are fools is a sweeping statement and (imo) unfounded.

What I wouldn't do however, is to work a ferret on a line, that's not what a line is for. Its a way of using one ferret to locate another that has laid up, that's all.

Crow, a fool who has a locator but still hardly uses it!

maybe if you stick to burrows that are only 4 or 5 holes, but larger warrens I would'ent trust it, without a collar, locators can be so usefull, not just for underground, if your doing a large warren, and a fert slips out unoticed and wanders off, a quick sweep of the area can also locate them

I have ferreted with & without locators done the be quiet routine,net up give it 15mins before putting fert in & ferts still kill in when the opportunity arises.Personally i prefer to have a locator so after a good while if the ferts & rabbits are quite you can 99% of time find where they are for me its that bit of confidence/relief that you know your hard working ferts are in the burrow doing whatever :boxing:.Thers nothing worse 3pm dark drawing in & you have,nt got a clue where your ferts are.Get a locator as soon as possible...DISCLAIMER....This is just my opinion :protest:

Its simple the locator is ideal obviously and it will save you time and there is less chance of looseing a ferret, but they are not essentail, ive never lost a ferret (having said that i would have lost one this yoer possibly was it not for it as it was 60 yds down the edge)

People managed for years and years without, dont ferret late in the day, and sometimes you may spend a hour twiggling your thumbs, but id wait an hour before digging six feet anyway. I ferret for fun, i worked under ground for 10 years the shovel holds no romance for me :icon_eek:

ive ferreted for years without a locator,but always work them colared now.I revert back to the locator as a last resort when i think the ferrets are laid up.i can remember waiting for long periods of time as the ferrets fed up below ground.I went out last season and realised i had forgotten my locator but still worked away and had a cracker of a day,but id rather have one and not need it than need it and not have one.

Its simple the locator is ideal obviously and it will save you time and there is less chance of looseing a ferret, but they are not essentail, ive never lost a ferret (having said that i would have lost one this yoer possibly was it not for it as it was 60 yds down the edge)

People managed for years and years without, dont ferret late in the day, and sometimes you may spend a hour twiggling your thumbs, but id wait an hour before digging six feet anyway. I ferret for fun, i worked under ground for 10 years the shovel holds no romance for me :icon_eek:

Spot on Ruger. Locators can make things easier but they aren't essential!

Guest Magwitch
people who ferret without a locators and collars are fools simple has that!!!!

I ferreted for many years without owning a locator, and I never lost a ferret! Interestingly, I never had as many problems with lay-ups as some who use locators seem to have either :hmm:

If you use common sense, fieldcraft and your eyes you'll more-than-likely have no problems at all. You may have to wait for a ferret to come out but hey, that's a good time for a cuppa anyway.

To say that those who ferret without locators are fools is a sweeping statement and (imo) unfounded.

What I wouldn't do however, is to work a ferret on a line, that's not what a line is for. Its a way of using one ferret to locate another that has laid up, that's all.

Crow, a fool who has a locator but still hardly uses it!

How many dead or dying rabbit do you think you left underground in all them years of not using a locator not to mention all the ones stuck up stop ends Crow. :hmm:

i think the short of it is what alot of us are saying........

we dont live in the dark ages anymore, times have changed, " technology " equipment is available to us that will help us work burrows more effectively, quicker, give us a clue what is going on underground instead of standing above ground like a lemon waiting how ever long till a ferret appears, not my idea of fun..

imagine waiting above ground for an hour wondering where the ferret was with night fall coming in... little was it known that the ferret was only 1 or 2 feet below... without a locator, how the f*ck would anyone know it was there ? with a locator you would have it out within a couple of minutes... ok things dont always run like that, but just an example.

now dont get me wrong, putting a collar on a ferret wont guarantee that it wont get lost, but not having one will increase the chances of not been able to locate it quickly..

i suspose everyone is different, but giving an excuse of, i cant afford a locator ! is poor. were not talking of £1000`s its £127. anyway, ill stick to what i do, & thats use a collar.

richie

How many dead or dying rabbit do you think you left underground in all them years of not using a locator not to mention all the ones stuck up stop ends Crow. :hmm:

The dead ones don't bother me, and I doubt they bother the landowner either. Dying ones are a bit different of course because no-one wants to leave an animal to suffer. However, even with a locator there is suffering going on, and I suspect there are still rabbits left underground in a pretty bad way. That's the way of ferreting and ferrets.

I suspect that the number of rabbits who are prepared to sit tight and ride it out are greater when you have an impatient ferreter stomping over the warren with locator in hand - so mybe the ferret locator adds to the number of rabbits suffering? If the rabbit thought it was clear above ground then they may just have made a bolt for it instead!

I'm not saying that the locator hasn't helped the ferreter because it undoubtedly has, all I am saying is that you can ferret without one and in doing so it doesn't make you a fool.

Crow

I ferreted for years with out a locator and never had a problem you just got to chill out and enjoy the day if your doing it for the fun then use a liner might take a bit more digging and a bit off pratice ,useing a liner is an art in its self and worth learning as a collor can allways come off or break ,and leaveing dead rabbits down the hole a ferret can allways kill then move off quickly they dont allways kill then sit there half an hour so you can get your locator out and dig,and ONLY 125 QUID i wish i could afford to chuck that amount round not all of us can richie .I have a loctor but only use it now and again i dont leave it on all the time like a bloody metal detector like some lads i've been out with.

No, mate. But sweeping, generalised insults, launched from a key board and sent out to the faces, names and memories of a great many men, down the millenia, I find unpalatable.

Ye talking like a muslim.

The comment i made was directed at people who put a uncollared ferret in a warren and hope for the best, your insult was directed at me. how much ferreting do you do Mr Shitter

You make your statement as if it were the ultimate truth. Locators are very handy items, I'll agree and I have one. It is however quite possible provided you follow the guidelines I earlier suggested, to ferret very successfully without one. Ferret locators are very exspensive, and while perhaps you are on the national average wage of £30,000 or so, a lot of folks are like me getting by on low incomes. Ferreting has gone on successfully for 2000 years or so and locators have only been available for the past 35 or so years. Just less than 40 years ago, I was rabbit catcher on a small estate, and along with my dad we accounted for hundreds of rabbits every year, without a locator, and never lost a ferret. Yes we sometimes dug three or four holes, where one would have done with a locator, but the point is, we managed fine. I put it to you that there's no need to be dogmatic, and rude to other punters, and though your comments are welcome they are just an opinion like anyone elses'. The collar does not give your ferret magical powers, it only allows you to locate it more accurately than you could without it. :thumbs: