glad you opened another thread on boats instead of hijacking poor old single barrels post, sorry about that sb,

my boating started off with a small 10 ft fibreglass dingy with a small seagull engine for inshore fishing, we had some fun in this boat, i eventually sold it to get a bigger boat, so my mate and i went halves and bought his dads boat, a shetland 17 ft with conversions to suit the sea better, my god, was it a heavy boat on land but super stable on the water, we had some good fish on that boat, very memorable,

we sold that after a long while as our paths changed, when it was a good time to go fishing one of us couldn't make it, so the best thing was to sell it,

i ended up buying my own boat which i mentioned on sb's post, a sea hog samurai, 16 ft i think, with a f/stroke 50 hp suzuki engine, it was a nice boat, it had the two swivel seats at the steering end, and two molded seat in each corner on the back end, four of you could fish comfortably, my mate and i went out one lovely calm summers day, we started mackereling as bait and i hooked a big sand eel, so i live baited it uptide on my other rod, and set the reel, then carried on mackereling on the other, then the reel on the uptider started to run, with that i took hold of it and waited for it to stop, to take the bait, as it did, now waiting for it to take off again, as it did, then i struck it, the rod nicely bent over and my mates getting excited, after a nice fight my mate netted a nice 30 +lb tope, we were both grinning from ear to ear, in the excitement i unhooked it and watched it swim away, we also had some smoothhounds to 10lb,

after having that boat for quite a while i sold it as i could only keep it on a farm at that time, and the farm was to far each time i wanted to use it, making my trip a two day all-deal,

so that's why i bought myself a sea hog sea jeep, 15ft, it fitted nicely in my double garage, and i could launch/retrieve it myself, not having to rely on anyone else, plus any work could be done easily at home, it was a lovely boat stable on the water, planed nicely,and easy to manage, nice space for two-three but no more, it had a f/stroke 50hp honda outboard, which if i remember right would do around 30knts, which was plenty fast enough, as its not always comfortable out there, i had that for a long while but ended up selling it, a while later i ended up moving over the pond to canada, which is boat city, here you can put your boats in anywhere on lakes, nice boat ramps on most lakes, you do a boat test to use them here and you get a registration paper for your boat, like a log book, incase it gets stolen,

if you handnt fecked of to canada..... We would of got on! Lol

yes mate, i opted to what i think is a better life, you never know, you might want to come over here one day for a bit of fishing, and if im in the postion to offer you a trip out on the water, i will do,
and if/when you come back to the uk, give me a pm, I'll have something floating somwhere ;)
  • Like 1

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I fish out of an SJX 21' Jon boat. Powered by a 200 horse optimax sport jet. I like to fish shallow water and prefer jets to props. Needed the ability to haul a lot of weight in the boat with the

some of my past boats   first proper boat a treeve 17 built like a tank and a massive beam very seaworthy i put a fiberglass cuddy on later i will try and find some pics ,a cracking inshore trollin

here you go lads save derailing single barrels thread again !   tell us about your boats and how you used them !   i started when we moved down devon 20 years back tried for a change of life st

Posted Images

nice one ant, thanks for the offer mate, i may just have to take you up on your offer one day, you've had/got some nice boats there, your rib does look like a bit of fun, i forgot to mention i use to have a mayland 14ft as well, and also a rib, but it only had a 5hp yamaha on it, i ended up selling it to my mates daughter for her to use for close inshore fishing, as i never actually got around to using it, bought it in haste really, where do you launch your boats? where are you based?

some of my past boats

first proper boat a treeve 17 built like a tank and a massive beam very seaworthy i put a fiberglass cuddy on later i will try and find some pics ,a cracking inshore trolling boat not the best of pics

5a1877e0-2c66-4abf-8835-9f3cc4ec77ed_zps

grass is always greener so i built /fitted out a fast offshore tremlett 21 hull from this bare hull

3719e4ec-7c86-4cf6-b0db-90fd58aab664_zps

to this

3ed01d48-ea9e-4f21-b243-2d884d7f16d9_zps

c1d2e46e-82a3-46da-9b43-e8471b0a1470_zps

then had this trophy

82b425a5-d6dc-4768-bf75-8ad85b71919d_zps

had a few more fishing boats of various descriptions in between and a drasscombe lugger

nice boats mate, i like what you did to the white boat with the yellow on, superb job mate, the trophy boat, is that a walkaround? it looks spot on to me,

thanks ,yes the trophy is a bayliner 22 wa "walk around " great boat very stable ,very comfortable to fish from but ideally could have done with a bit more power ! it did about 25kn and cruised at about 19-20kn with the 115 ficht but the engine was to good to let go with the tremlett and the bayliner came as a bare boat "it was an import from the us, a bank repossession i think as the trailer was a us one and not strictly uk legal though was nice to tow and launch off !there was a company importing various sports fishing boats locally that i got it from"

nice one ant, thanks for the offer mate, i may just have to take you up on your offer one day, you've had/got some nice boats there, your rib does look like a bit of fun, i forgot to mention i use to have a mayland 14ft as well, and also a rib, but it only had a 5hp yamaha on it, i ended up selling it to my mates daughter for her to use for close inshore fishing, as i never actually got around to using it, bought it in haste really, where do you launch your boats? where are you based?

it is good fun mate lol will do 20 knots 2 up but feels ALOT faster! Lol I'm based near morecambe mate and the thing I like about the inflatable is I can launch it anywhere, plenty of flatties and a few bass and smooth hound etc in the bay but not much else, but where I am is only half hour drive from the lakes so I always register the boats for them to so there's always somwhere to go whatever the conditions ;)
  • Like 1

I live about an hour from the sea at the closest point so for years this was the best option for me as it would pack up and go in the boot of the car. I've had this for about 13 years or so.

703711_10153186402495877_714281118945460

A couple of years ago after years of putting if off I picked up this little trailer sailor, just getting it ready to get it back into the marina for the summer.

11350654_10152807215810877_1430354223056

Will see how we go this year but might think about an upgrade come the autumn.

• Like 3

I fish out of an SJX 21' Jon boat. Powered by a 200 horse optimax sport jet. I like to fish shallow water and prefer jets to props. Needed the ability to haul a lot of weight in the boat with the two 55 gallon bait tank and live well I sometimes have both in the boat at the same time and need the ability to look all over the lakes quickly for feeding birds such as comorants in the winter time. 40 gallon fuel tank, difts in 7 inches of water and runs in 4 inches of water. Handles open rough water good for such a shallow water boat. Gives me the best of both worlds. Winter time I fish the deeper open water of the main part of the lakes while the rest of the time I'm in 5' to 1' of water often times in dead trees and stumps. Gives me the ability to travel and fish big lakes from one end to another and back and still have a decent amount of fuel left. Plus I can run on top of the water in the timber and shallow water without worry of taking out a lower unit or the prop or just creeping through such places for miles. Opens up water and fishing areas to me that few boats can access or dare to run in.

post-99376-0-16644100-1461252141_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I fish out of an SJX 21' Jon boat. Powered by a 200 horse optimax sport jet. I like to fish shallow water and prefer jets to props. Needed the ability to haul a lot of weight in the boat with the two 55 gallon bait tank and live well I sometimes have both in the boat at the same time and need the ability to look all over the lakes quickly for feeding birds such as comorants in the winter time. 40 gallon fuel tank, difts in 7 inches of water and runs in 4 inches of water. Handles open rough water good for such a shallow water boat. Gives me the best of both worlds. Winter time I fish the deeper open water of the main part of the lakes while the rest of the time I'm in 5' to 1' of water often times in dead trees and stumps. Gives me the ability to travel and fish big lakes from one end to another and back and still have a decent amount of fuel left. Plus I can run on top of the water in the timber and shallow water without worry of taking out a lower unit or the prop or just creeping through such places for miles. Opens up water and fishing areas to me that few boats can access or dare to run in.

nice looking boat mate, and very handy as well, iv'e always fancied a jet boat for the same reasons as you, good outfit,