Wolf in the wild

Guest Vladimir

Guest Vladimir

Most dogs are either afraid or cannot overpower a wolf singly. Normally, dogs do not consider a wolf as a game, because of close kinship between dogs and wolves. To them, wolf is just another, but very strong and dangerous dog. To make a dog hunting wolves takes some twist in the selective breeding to break the barrier. There are a few bold dog breeds, which can go ahead and attack a wild wolf, if given a chance. Perhaps, many terriers wold do it, but they would end as kamikaze. The Borzoi is one wolf hunting breed. I have red old Russian writers about wolf hunting with borzois and learned that Borzois capable of catching and killing a wolf alone are exceptionally rare and, if they do it, it is usually not a mature male wolf, but rather a yearling, a female or a senile, injured or a diseased wolf. Despite all thrill and joy of old - fashioned style of wolf hunting in Russia, their Borzois were used in teams and in a combination with a bunch of good and wolf aggressive scent hounds and, of course, many hunters. With such a backing, no wonder, they killed wolves by the dozens every hunting season. I have a book in Russian "Pershinskaya okhota", by Valtsov. This is about most famous Borzoi kennel of Great Russian Prince Nikolai Nikolaevich. This is a very interesting reading, with about 100 pictures and drawings of the dogs and hunting scenes from the past. One interesting fact: I did not find even one picture, showing a Borzoi with such a fluffy coat like one can see in today's show Borzois. I found this picture in a Russian hunting forum. This is a Borzoi male, which occasionally catches and kills wolves alone. I guess those are not mature male wolves, but this is an accomplishment for a dog. Perhaps, the Taigan would be a better wolf hunting dog, if used alone or in a team of two-three dogs and without all those crowds of hunters and large teams of scent hounds. This particular Borozi did it several times. In Russia, wolves have never been exterminated and they did not need to be reintroduced. Therefore, the wolf hunting with dogs never stopped there. I would like to see a wolf hunting, like this, here, in USA. We do not have wolves in Virginia, only coyotes.

post-11795-1196426044_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vladimir

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remeber reading that the coat as we see it today, is a result of out

crossing the Borzoi to Russian sheepdogs, a few hundred years ago though.

Like the look of these dogs, and a friend who breed my lucher has

one, that I would love to see on big land, after a hare.

Guest john2007oliver

Don't want to sound the n*b head, but all that blood on the wolf, why hasn't it got on the dogs mussel, and if wolves are so hard, why didn't it at least get a couple of bits on the dog and produce blood of its own? :gunsmilie:

Just curious

I have heard of packs of Airedales which are used to hunt Coyote in some parts of the USA, would they not be capable? I would imagine it to be a fair old task for any dog to pull a wolf single handed though, whatever the breed.

Edited by Nell