• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been up on this same land today, and as I was watching three hares another two come out from the other side of the hedge real odd looking things with brown and white mottled coats no sign of the pure

I was out walking yesterday, and saw a white (brown) hare, first time I've ever seen one in 25 years of watching hares, and seeing thousands of hares, I wonder how rare they must be, it was a nice thi

there is a place near me that has produced a few white brown hares over the years, killed one lamping in the eighties (would not do it again) there was a story in the paper recently about a young girl

Posted Images

2 hours ago, sandymere said:

Was it in Ireland? 

Yes. I don't know different types from  a brown hare but seen several in one day fox beat. They were similar to a piebald pony. Not totally white but half and half. Totally brown other years. Any insight on what it might be?

1 hour ago, jiggy said:

Yes. I don't know different types from  a brown hare but seen several in one day fox beat. They were similar to a piebald pony. Not totally white but half and half. Totally brown other years. Any insight on what it might be?

The Irish hare is a subspecies of the mountain hare so has a predisposition to turning white in the winter?

https://www.vincentwildlife.ie/species/irish-hare

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/seen-a-white-hare-here-s-what-you-were-looking-at-1.583927

1 hour ago, jiggy said:

There's a few variants of colour in the brown hares on this piece of land 

White, Brown and white, and some golden coloured are about

The keeper was telling me they leave them alone

1 hour ago, low plains drifter said:

There's a few variants of colour in the brown hares on this piece of land 

White, Brown and white, and some golden coloured are about

The keeper was telling me they leave them alone

These ones were always brown. We hunted it every year. It was only the cold winters 2009 and 2010 that they changed half white.

• 3 years later...