Memory Free Floating Line Suggestions??

Bought a new reel today and was gunna buy a barrio gt125 after hearing excellent reviews but he's sold out of wf6 and wf7. I was hoping to use my new reel and line by next Wednesday so in need of suggestions so I can get one ordered asap. Must be memory free, like the look of cortland 444 but heard of problems when roll casting

Over the years ive used a fair few lines by scientific anglers , rio , snowbee and cortland plus a few others and the snowbees are not bad but the cortland 444 is the best memory free line out of them . Dont know about problems roll casting with them because ive never bothered doing it but i cant see why there will be a problem doing it . You see a few negative reviews of the 444 because its been around forever and is seen as old technology by some and that makes it fashionable to knock them , but theres a reason its still around and mentioned as being up there with the best .

444 a good line but like most will incur some memory if kept on the reel , if you keep it in big loops off the reel and well cleaned it should be fine

To be honest ive always found memory after storage on 444 to be minimal . I do use LA reels though which probably do help but i always leave them on the reel when not in use and they always lie dead straight after a cast or two . My current (but soon to be replaced by a cortland sylk) river line is the snowbee thistledown and as you say , that does like most lines retain memory after being kept on the reel .

Many years ago I bought two Cortland 444 Sylk lines for small river fishing. They are no good for chucking lures and are best suited to light nymphs and dries. Every new season I would unroll the lines, clean them and rewind them onto the reels. They never had any memory and floated like a duck. Wind the clock five years on, reels still in storage boxes, never been used since emigrating over four years ago. Took the lines off the spools last month and neither had what you could call memory. Just a few very light curls that came out after cleaning. Brilliant lines.

• Like 1

Been using PP lines for a fair few seasons now and no issues at all. The only issues I have with fly lines is when they say "NO memory", every line has a memory if you store it on the reel and don't stretch its legs before casting. The price of fly lines also makes you drop a Betty Swollock at the till as well, especially when they have fancy pants packaging and key pointless points such as "superior presentation", "effortless casting" and "efficient turnover of *insert fly type*". I might be cynical but I thought that's why I spend hours on a cricket pitch casting at dandelions from various distances and wind directions using all manner of casts to ensure my timing and technique is honed correctly. If you're not able to achieve turnover with a roll cast at 20yrds then no fly line in the world is going to help you achieve it at 30yds or suddenly give you the powers to double haul or stop trailing loops or stop you entering The Last Cast Saloon when you heave all you're strength into the last false cast and end up with wide loops and all manner of issues.

I vie all this marketing guff the same as the stuff on TV that promises just using said equipment for three minutes a day will have you fit and ripped in 6 weeks. Sure it might do, but you have to eat right, move around a great deal and do every other exercise in order for the 3 easy installments of £33 piece of equipment to do its jib but that never gets mentioned. I guess they wouldn't sell many lines if their packaging simply said "This might help you achieve a little bit more but only if your casting is up to scratch, if it's not then thanks for the cash that you could've spent on a casting workshop with your old line".