Gas Ram Vs Spring

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all after buying my recent mess about plinking gun a BSA lightening I am looking to strip it and also have a go at DIY tuning it. its standard at the moment and pretty much untested due to crazy wo

Very sharp and very fast. Thats about it.   I had a Fenman Mk1, all be it in .177 and my god it was a world away from my springers. Basically you go back to the drawing board with your shooting tech

Cheers Rez sounds interesting and wouldent mind trying one for curiosity if anything. Iv just got one ordered from john knibs so gonna give it a go.

Id second th epost above, getting the sod in was a mission. Its uber strong those gas rams... almost industrial.

I collected it from the post office today and wow I see what you mean - very strong!

did you need a spring compressor or did you do it without?

i did not try with out . i think it was a little bit of metal that holds the spring guide in place if it is still made with it . has to be removed . i may have tryed to put my gun to gether with it in place the gun wont cock . the gas ram seems accurately made . i know my power was bang on . I am going by memmory so if its a night mare to get it in WITH HELP it will be bad to get it out again when you have to remove the little bit of metal . make a spring press dont steam in with the file and saw .

i have had a look ONLINE the piece of metal i removed was a bit of metal that keeps the spring guide in place but not all of it .just enough as to allow the gas ram to sit flat .I see the gun is sold with gas rams now so the part may be changed in modern guns .

• Like 1

While stripping we came across a problem!....

E6C52395-0215-4712-A726-187893CF53E2_zps

The spring had snapped and wound itself up the other part of the spring....

82745CF4-2445-46C2-9230-18FF63155CBD_zps

Quite amazing it shot how it did! It honestly shot nicely.

My oh my. And it shot nicely?!?! What the actual f**k. As if.

Regarding the fitting, it should fit to be fair mate... how have you managed to compress it? An old ex birds dad did mine for me when I had one fitted to my own Lightening. He had some gear though, he was senior tech at Siemens. It should fit with no machining required. Bang an image up of the area in question.

• Like 1

While stripping we came across a problem!....

E6C52395-0215-4712-A726-187893CF53E2_zps

The spring had snapped and wound itself up the other part of the spring....

82745CF4-2445-46C2-9230-18FF63155CBD_zps

Quite amazing it shot how it did! It honestly shot nicely.

My oh my. And it shot nicely?!?! What the actual f**k. As if.

Regarding the fitting, it should fit to be fair mate... how have you managed to compress it? An old ex birds dad did mine for me when I had one fitted to my own Lightening. He had some gear though, he was senior tech at Siemens. It should fit with no machining required. Bang an image up of the area in question.

it did shoot nice, low recoil, zero twang cocked smooth just petty inconsistent (see earlier shot string with this spring fitted). it was in mattybugeyes shed when we stripped it and even he was amazed it shot like it did with a spring like that.

matty is trying to get me to bin the ram and fit nicely polished internals and tophat and guide.

iv emailed the seller of the ram id like one that fits just to try one for curiosity.

• Like 1

Good thread this.. enjoying it!

Way out of my depths all of this today so apologies, i can't help.

Played about with triggers and ox mainsprings in some webleys back in the eighties.. (distant memory now) but still enjoy this hands on crack.

Keen to see how this turns out tom..

Atb

the gamo spring braking is normal . is there a lable on the ram you may be able to remove .there may be a burr . your new night mare may be to take out the piston and remove some internal diamiter with a stick and emery paper thats what i would have done but with experiance i would now fit a spring .it is mostlikely the correct ram it may be just to big and the piston hole just to small by thousanths of and inch .i would say it would be possible to remove internal material of the piston it may be just tight at the start . if something is wrong i would bet is the GAMO being wrong not the ram.......my rams outside dia is 22.70...22.68 mm

Edited by barrywhite
  • Like 1

the gamo spring braking is normal . is there a lable on the ram you may be able to remove .there may be a burr . your new night mare may be to take out the piston and remove some internal diamiter with a stick and emery paper thats what i would have done but with experiance i would now fit a spring .it is mostlikely the correct ram it may be just to big and the piston hole just to small by thousanths of and inch .i would say it would be possible to remove internal material of the piston it may be just tight at the start . if something is wrong i would bet is the GAMO being wrong not the ram.......my rams outside dia is 22.70...22.68 mm

Cheers barrywhite, pretty bad the spring breaking is normal! when I shone a torch into the piston I could see a well hidden sleeve, after a bit of poking away at it I got it out and the ram slid in like a glove (silly me!)

after cleaning all the grease on all the parts I then put a light coating on the parts and re assembled and rez wasn't wrong it was mega hard to compress. after a cuppa and a think I made this bodged tool....

4843F54E-77BE-4326-B665-2E5192C9A287_zps

A 21mm long reach socket with pin slots ground out of it either side. with a gun slip over the silencer and my body weight onto it using my stomach I simply reached over it and put the pin back in easy peasy.

I then reassembled the gun and fired a few test shots and wow very different! its more of a TWAK! noise - its all over very fast with very short movement. Its still quite loud tho. ill shoot some 25m groups and stick a pic up of them another day along with a 20 shot chrono string. I think its nice to shoot and needs more testing so ill update later, got 12 hour nights this week :huh:

I think ill strip it again soon and get it all polished perfectly and fit a new breech seal soon too, It really is an easy gun to work with.

I wont compare it to when it had the spring fitted as it was broken but may have another play with a spring kit at a later date if it shoots crap.

what do you think of your ram in yours barrywhite? do you prefer the spring or ram?

cheers!

Tom.

I think ill strip it again soon and get it all polished perfectly and fit a new breech seal soon too, It really is an easy gun to work with.

I wont compare it to when it had the spring fitted as it was broken but may have another play with a spring kit at a later date if it shoots crap.

what do you think of your ram in yours barrywhite? do you prefer the spring or ram?

cheers!

Tom.

my ram failed so i put in a spring but i made parts top hat and spring guide. the top hat is harded carbon steel , polished that can spin on a ptfe disc and a tight fitting delrin spring guide . it is better than the ram for sure . the ram was good while it lasted .