Fallow Cull

Had a write up with it that never uploaded so here is the short version again .

Took part in a cull on the local estate where the fallow have to be kept down to qualify for the woodland grants available .I get to do the boundary woods and copses .New quad so made use of it .First buck was from a group of 7 matures that were in various stages of shed .Nothing palmated allowed so have to be careful when they are bunched .

Rode around for a while until I glassed a group in a game crop still standing and managed all three with first two neck shots and a chest on the last as it moved away a bit .The main cull is from played seat in the centre of the estate as was well under way .We finished just before three with 54 fallow and two muntjac .

• Like 4

well done ! handy the quad ,wouldnt want to shift that lot by hand :thumbs: ,thats some total how big a heard is it from ? ,how do you find they react to the quad ? ive started using a quad myself now as im screwd up with arthritis and dodgy hips etc ! but i use it to get to an area them have a wait and a hobble about for a bit then move on and do the same !"it aint what im used to but at least im out!"

• Like 1

I would say there's a couple of hundred on the estate mate .I use to walk everywhere too mate but that's taken its toll on my knees so the quad will keep me at it longer .The keepers use quads and in the main they were a bit wary as they've shot a few in the run up to the cull but what the quad did allow was to cover more ground faster than stalk, back to the truck ,move on ,repeat .Also I like a bit of offroading lol.

• Like 2

Good result FD , it doesn't take long for them to get wary of the quad .They have a very distinctive sound that sets the alarm bells ringing . I use mine mainly to get about different areas then stalk in , and to get the carcasses out .Having to drag them would soon see the new metal knee in for a service ..

post-81636-0-78853200-1456571692_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

Certainly looks the business that new quad Tim - you'll be needing a tartan blanket to keep your knees warm! Great result mate!

Got one already Matt as well as a double braided hair net for the really cold days .Just need 20,000 acres now with deer, to ride it on .

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

looks a nice buck to be taken out. a place i stalk in somerset only had bucks like that. after a few years we decided to take them out as we wanted stronger bigger bucks to move in. which luckily they did!

He's only poor as he's young .The others he was with were way up there .There was a similar aged beast with crossed antlers which I wanted but eluded me .There is a heavy fine on palmated stuff so ID is vital before pulling the trigger