First Kill On The New Permission

Cj1991

got onto the permission at dusk. wandering around the 10 acre field trying to see if the activity was in the same place as it was the other day when i scoped it it out.

First rabbit at the top of the field 30-35 yards, pulled trigger, complete miss WTF?!

okay so i sat there quietly and readied up, another one came and sat in the same spot. squeeked the head up, pulled trigger...MISS?!

so at this point i setup on a piece of card at 30 yards to check my zero. must have knocked the scope as i was hitting 3-4" above POA. few shots off and corrected that.

walked down the field to let it settle down and have a smoke. on the way back up i spot one past the small junk yard of land rovers etc. so i setup on the rover hood as they were very skittish. green rifle lamp was on at this point. wasnt sure of the range as i hadnt shot from there before so i aimed 1/4 target (head) up (no mildot scope, used military style adjustment) squeeked the closest of the three up, pulled trigger. BAM clean kill.

now what shocked me was i paced it to 63 yards exactly. very happy with that for my first kill with the rifle. Hatsan DT44-10X .177 worked a dream

IMG_0945_zps0oe08eov.jpg

• Like 3

That's a good long shot pal. I would recommend a mill dot scope for shots of that distance as a gnats whisker at that range is the difference between a kill and nasty wound pal. If I hadn't promised my pal my 3-9×40 you could have it FOC to get you going.....I will call him on Monday and see if he really needs it and if not you can have it if you want it.

Impressive shot that,the two misses,did you not check zero before hand? Not a dig just wondered as most do it,avoid missing/wounding as much as,out of interest what is the perm,with a ten acre and Lanny graveyard?

Impressive shot that,the two misses,did you not check zero before hand? Not a dig just wondered as most do it,avoid missing/wounding as much as,out of interest what is the perm,with a ten acre and Lanny graveyard?

Thats the thing. id checked the zero beforehand. thats why i think ive knocked the scope or something without realising it :\ couldnt understand how i was missing as i have a good eye and tight groupings. and at the distance i missed i was miffed! i only took the shot when the body was side on to me so if i missed it would go over or under the head. im not a risk taker id rather not shoot if im not confident be pretty gutted if i wounded something and couldnt cleanly kill it.

as for the lanny side of things its a guy with a small collection of old vehicles. the rabbits like that field of his land as theres alot of high bank brambles to run around it. makes life easier for me!

That's a good long shot pal. I would recommend a mill dot scope for shots of that distance as a gnats whisker at that range is the difference between a kill and nasty wound pal. If I hadn't promised my pal my 3-9×40 you could have it FOC to get you going.....I will call him on Monday and see if he really needs it and if not you can have it if you want it.

yes a mildot is first on the wishlist. unfortuantly funds are tight as hell at the moment. If the scope does become available id gratefully take it off your hands. happily pay postage etc