Whippet Pup

Took the Brothers whippet for a run last night think shes about 9/10 months old brothers been starting her on the lamp running down with another dog had a few catches ect... Anyway spoke to me bro N he said she wont run down by her self atall wanted to see it for myself so took her out found a rabbit in a decent enough space for a slip she jogged down up jumped the rabbit off it went the bitch stopped and watched the bunny hop home and then back to me .. My take on it was leave her off till next season and back to basics.. And maybe too much too soon?

Edited by lurcherman 887

Prob too much too soon like you said. She's only a pup, my kelpie/whip did the same last season, he was a similar age then, he's only just started striking now and that was brought on by taking him ferreting with laddylurcher and his dogs.

Has he had her ferreting yet? Might be better starting there first then try lamping again once shes snapping pursed rabbits and running bolters.

If shes walked up to a squatter she will do the stuff shes had a good few her strike is great its just shes not wanting the run the beam i no she can see them shes pulling to go you slip shes goes down so far and then back.. Slip her in with another dog though and shes strait down doing the business shes done a bit ferreting but he mainly will lamp the bitch.

If shes walked up to a squatter she will do the stuff shes had a good few her strike is great its just shes not wanting the run the beam i no she can see them shes pulling to go you slip shes goes down so far and then back.. Slip her in with another dog though and shes strait down doing the business shes done a bit ferreting but he mainly will lamp the bitch.

i know what you have just said but it sounds like she has not seen the rabbit you are slipping her on,A lot of dogs if reved up for a nights lamping will run out into the field when slipped go so far then turn around when they cant see anything,it sounds like what your bitch is doing.The next time you go out keep her on the slip for a few rabbits to run off,try and run her on some shortish grass fields with an obvious rabbit moving,remember her line of sight is lower than yours so a slight incline or hump on the ground could stop her from sighting the rabbit....ps take her out on her own she will chase the rabbit and not just run shoulder to shoulder with the other dog.

Edited by runem

Last night she could see them 100 percent..football pitch walked down got about 30 yards of the rabbit it jumped out the seat she pulled i slipped she trotted down stopped then watched it..

aint no good to no man...................give it to me :laugh:

Last night she could see them 100 percent..football pitch walked down got about 30 yards of the rabbit it jumped out the seat she pulled i slipped she trotted down stopped then watched it..

It sound like she has been sickened with running rabbits that she has no chance of catching,ie to close to a hedge or warren and time and time again they have beaten her and escaped.i understand she is only young and still has time on her side,

try ferreting only this season with her,and i can only wish you the best of look with her.

• Like 2

Lol im sure she come good in end just a confidence thing as maybe used to having another runner there to follow ? Shes made some real good catches

sure you will do all you can to give it every chance mate but obviously sounds like its been sickened early,plenty ferreting seems the obvious answer as said,atb with it

if shes been out running with another older dog. i wouldnt say sickened as it should have been around enough catches. its not an ideal way to start a dog but some do it that way. i'd more say confidence. i seen it in coursing dogs when they've been only slipt in on a course almost over as pups to bring them on. then when on there own a sort of trot after it then come back sort of with a look like should i be after that ? most of the time its unsurety. she knows she can do it with the older dog but is she aloud to do it on her own. bit of ferreting letting her know you are after rabbits maybe next season and i think she be ok. is sure casso with her canine mind reading will let you know shortly