Under 15Tts ?

squab

small terriers can fit thru rabbit runs to catch more They tire easier and take more stick around the eyes ears and try working them everyday It does not work out how we would like it too TRIED it few years back they run out of steam and could only work twice a week after a few months :thumbs:

thats rubbish worked small terriers all my life never a problem the only time they slowed up was when they were older took longer to get over a days hunting,any terrier would be knackered working cover everyday,

Every terrier might,Beddy,s don,t,fact.

beddys dont what fact

I should have stated proper working bred Bedlingtons and not the dross that masquerades,falsely,as a Bedlington.Ive owned and grafted a multitude of terriers,often lineage unknown,ive yet to find any that have the stamina of a Beddy or its hybrid.A retired Beddy bitch here grafted on her own,for the lurchers for over 5 seasons,her progeny have her working ethos,they bush all day,they enter and have earth work in their vocation,then emerge and carry on bushing and ratching about,day after day,week after week,season after season.Fact.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To catch more you need more dogs. Nothing runs as fast as a rabbit in cover. Small dogs do face less resistance in cover, but they got to have the desire to catch that rabbit and give 100%. I think t

My own line of bushing terriers have been smooth coated for generations now, and whilst they do end up with ragged ears and often get deep scratches along their backs and under their chests, it certai

I suppose it depends where you hunt but if dogs are catching rabbits all the time in cover then the rabbits aren't the same type I seem to hunt. Rabbits are very quick in cover and in my experience th

small terriers can fit thru rabbit runs to catch more They tire easier and take more stick around the eyes ears and try working them everyday It does not work out how we would like it too TRIED it few years back they run out of steam and could only work twice a week after a few months :thumbs:

thats rubbish worked small terriers all my life never a problem the only time they slowed up was when they were older took longer to get over a days hunting,any terrier would be knackered working cover everyday,

beddys dont what fact

I should have stated proper working bred Bedlingtons and not the dross that masquerades,falsely,as a Bedlington.Ive owned and grafted a multitude of terriers,often lineage unknown,ive yet to find any that have the stamina of a Beddy or its hybrid.A retired Beddy bitch here grafted on her own,for the lurchers for over 5 seasons,her progeny have her working ethos,they bush all day,they enter and have earth work in their vocation,then emerge and carry on bushing and ratching about,day after day,week after week,season after season.Fact.

What's the idea behind hybridising beddy if its so good? It looks to me like you'd be putting something you thought was inferior into bedlingtons. Its the logical assumption if you believe nothing can match them? Its an interesting idea like, using things you think are second best in a breeding programme :laugh:

beddys dont what fact

What's the idea behind hybridising beddy if its so good? It looks to me like you'd be putting something you thought was inferior into bedlingtons. Its the logical assumption if you believe nothing can match them? Its an interesting idea like, using things you think are second best in a breeding programme :laugh:

One of the finest working terriers ive ever had the pleasure to own was a Bedlington,the greatest mistake i ever made was not lining her to a very useful Lakey when i had the chance,the only dog that could master and befitted her as a grafter.I eventually lined her to a Beddy and the progeny took a working step backwards.I then line bred them back to the bitch through her son and the work ethic increased.When the progeny were bred back to a very good red Fell,they became as near to the olde lass,in graft,as id wished for,they also represented the Beddy better than purer types ever could,not only in type but more importantly in work ethic.To attain the name of Working Bedlington we need to step back,then sideways,just to go forward.Without honest hybridisation there will never be honest Bedlingtons,the people who tell you different don,t have the working Bedlington at heart,just their bank balance,fact.

• Like 2

morton my comments are my experiences from working many different types of terriers, though i admit that i Have not seen many bedlingtons bush,but any dog that gives a 100% day in day out is surly going to get tiered leggy or not,bushing thick cover is hard graft the miles they run the quarry they chase etc adds up to a good few mile in a day for a dog, to do this giving 100% day in day out is a big ask, granted when there young there fit and want to go every day and can but all day every day is a big ask

beddys dont what fact

One of the finest working terriers ive ever had the pleasure to own was a Bedlington,the greatest mistake i ever made was not lining her to a very useful Lakey when i had the chance,the only dog that could master and befitted her as a grafter.I eventually lined her to a Beddy and the progeny took a working step backwards.I then line bred them back to the bitch through her son and the work ethic increased.When the progeny were bred back to a very good red Fell,they became as near to the olde lass,in graft,as id wished for,they also represented the Beddy better than purer types ever could,not only in type but more importantly in work ethic.To attain the name of Working Bedlington we need to step back,then sideways,just to go forward.Without honest hybridisation there will never be honest Bedlingtons,the people who tell you different don,t have the working Bedlington at heart,just their bank balance,fact.

So reading that you couldn't find a purer type bedlington to improve "work ethic" even though you think bedlingtons are superior dogs to other terriers? If you can't find a beddy stud with the right working qualities i don't see what your opinion is based on? You give the bedlington side a lot of credit for working ethic/ability in your posts, usually ignoring the fact your dogs are 50% fell.

If i bred a litter of saluki x greys, and the pups could kill 3 from 3 on a morning..........And i then raved about the quality of my greyhound, and it wa sthe greyhound element that was doing the job............People would think i was an idiot, and they'd be right :thumbs:

morton my comments are my experiences from working many different types of terriers, though i admit that i Have not seen many bedlingtons bush,but any dog that gives a 100% day in day out is surly going to get tiered leggy or not,bushing thick cover is hard graft the miles they run the quarry they chase etc adds up to a good few mile in a day for a dog, to do this giving 100% day in day out is a big ask, granted when there young there fit and want to go every day and can but all day every day is a big ask

Its not a big ask,its what the mutts bred to do,if it cannot id re-evaluate the breeding.Im not saying mine can do it 7 days a week 300 days a year,im saying 2 or 3 times a week is easily attainable for most bushing terriers and the ones that get out more often than that i applaud.

beddys dont what fact

So reading that you couldn't find a purer type bedlington to improve "work ethic" even though you think bedlingtons are superior dogs to other terriers? If you can't find a beddy stud with the right working qualities i don't see what your opinion is based on? You give the bedlington side a lot of credit for working ethic/ability in your posts, usually ignoring the fact your dogs are 50% fell.

If i bred a litter of saluki x greys, and the pups could kill 3 from 3 on a morning..........And i then raved about the quality of my greyhound, and it wa sthe greyhound element that was doing the job............People would think i was an idiot, and they'd be right :thumbs:

I looked for years,i mean years,for a genuine Bedlington stud,with a working trial,the mention of a working trial made many a Beddy stud owner scurry for cover.Ive never said the Bedlington is a more superior working terrier,i prefer Lakeys,yet have never owned or seen a Lakey that offered as much as the Bedlington for its versatility,i want a versatile hunting terrier and the Beddy-Beddy hybrid offers that,other terriers are better worked off a leash and are better suited than a Bedlington to that type of terrier work.The purpose of any out cross is the rationale that the out cross will lend itself to the production of a 1/4 fell in the next litter and an 1/8th in the next.Its easy enough to produce a working terrier,best to best,why is that not the norm now?,its far more difficult to produce grafting terriers that will eventually breed true to a certain type,a long hard slog.My half bred Beddy/Fells are truer to the Bedlington than many truer bred-uns,bred back into the mix they will be twice as true,hopefully.Its all about a bigger picture,at times.Im in it for the long haul and not the short fix.

Its not a big ask,its what the mutts bred to do,if it cannot id re-evaluate the breeding.Im not saying mine can do it 7 days a week 300 days a year,im saying 2 or 3 times a week is easily attainable for most bushing terriers and the ones that get out more often than that i applaud.

thats a different story 2 or 3 times a week shouldn't be a problem to most bushers.

thats a different story 2 or 3 times a week shouldn't be a problem to most bushers.

Its not a different story,how many bushers EVER work more than that?,how many hunting jukels ever work more than that,on a regular basis?.Every time my bushers enter the field they run a marathon,ive seen many a terrier struggle after noon when the Beddy carried the cause until dark.Im not for one minute saying the beddy is a better busher because ive witnessed and owned terriers just as good,yet they where never as good for as long,thats just my outlook on the beddy and ill guarantee their will be bushing mutts about that will serve the same purpose to their respective owners and ive nothing but genuine admiration for the folk that own,breed and graft them.Yet im a Beddy man,that will never distract me from the fact that there are other options about just as useful,fact.

beddys dont what fact

I looked for years,i mean years,for a genuine Bedlington stud,with a working trial,the mention of a working trial made many a Beddy stud owner scurry for cover.Ive never said the Bedlington is a more superior working terrier,i prefer Lakeys,yet have never owned or seen a Lakey that offered as much as the Bedlington for its versatility,i want a versatile hunting terrier and the Beddy-Beddy hybrid offers that,other terriers are better worked off a leash and are better suited than a Bedlington to that type of terrier work.The purpose of any out cross is the rationale that the out cross will lend itself to the production of a 1/4 fell in the next litter and an 1/8th in the next.Its easy enough to produce a working terrier,best to best,why is that not the norm now?,its far more difficult to produce grafting terriers that will eventually breed true to a certain type,a long hard slog.My half bred Beddy/Fells are truer to the Bedlington than many truer bred-uns,bred back into the mix they will be twice as true,hopefully.Its all about a bigger picture,at times.Im in it for the long haul and not the short fix.

Don't get me wrong Morton...........I admire anybody trying to create or keep a type going, good luck with it. That said , i still don't know how you'll manage it if you've "searched for years" for a decent bedlington stud with no luck?

The story so far, in theory............You had a decent working bitch, mated to a bedlington stud you lost some work ethic, putting a son back to her improved things a bit, most likely because most of the genes would be hers mated to a son?........Then you use an outcross and are happy with the way things are going..............I assume by saying "next litter will be 1/4 and the next 1/8" you mean you'll be using bedlington studs, the fell diminishing like? Studs you couldn't get in the first place, so you'll have to use best of the bunch, two best of the bunch matings using studs not proven 100% and you'll need an outcross............You could line breed again? close to a mother son though, and if you did what then? Back to an unrelated unproven beddy stud?

You sound fairly happy with the dogs you have morton, i think i would just keep that going using more outcrosses if needed, but iv'e never been interested in types really, but each to their own.

• Like 1

Its not a different story,how many bushers EVER work more than that?,how many hunting jukels ever work more than that,on a regular basis?.Every time my bushers enter the field they run a marathon,ive seen many a terrier struggle after noon when the Beddy carried the cause until dark.Im not for one minute saying the beddy is a better busher because ive witnessed and owned terriers just as good,yet they where never as good for as long,thats just my outlook on the beddy and ill guarantee their will be bushing mutts about that will serve the same purpose to their respective owners and ive nothing but genuine admiration for the folk that own,breed and graft them.Yet im a Beddy man,that will never distract me from the fact that there are other options about just as useful,fact.

it is a different story because in an earlier post you said day after day week after week then it was 2 or 3 times a week,your now saying what im saying yea 2 or 3 times a week no problem,again as for beddys i dont know but id of thought even they would get tiered,like i said 2 or 3 times a week giving a 100% no problem