Disease

As some of you fellas know I live on the edge of a farming village down a bit of a dirt track. As such we dont get very many people passing our place. Well the other day I was taking some rubbish out to the bins on the lane and heard someone walking down the lane and what sounded like bells jingling so I hung about and was pleasently suprised when a fella walked by with a harris hawk on his arm. we had a bit of a chat about the bird and hunting with her etc then onto the fact I kept ferrets and the fella said he used to ferret and so did his mates in the area but he changed to BOP because he only ever had ferrets 2 seasons and they dropped dead???? Both his and multiple lads/farmers in the area had the same problem. They reckon the ground or rabbit population has some virus/disease which kills ferrets?

Is this real or BS?

If it is real what could it be?

Should I stop working my ferrets local?

I would be looking at cats or similar passing the hutches and the ferrets getting cat flu etc

we out in the sticks so theres alsorts goes thru the garden, cats, foxes, rats, weasils, stoats, last owner saw mink, rabbits, pheasant, we have had a sheep and a horse in garden and believe it or not a dozen peacocks!

Never know what Im guna see when I look out the window!

Iv just lost my ferrets at 2 years old all from the same bloodline they were fine in the morning then when I checked them in the afternoon their reactions were slower than normal I didn't think anything of it then when I went out in the evening all were dead except two but they died the next day. I did some research and it came up about insulomer (diabetes) not sure if it was but has anyone ever heard about ferrets having diabetes?

If they become lethargic and lose weight your better off culling them as i find the vets are worse than useless when it comes to treating them. I lost 2 ferrets last year. One i culled when i saw it was getting worse, the other i went to the vets with and tried everything. 2 of them took sick and died within a fortnight of each other. If i was to go by the symptoms i read up that they died from i would have said insulinoma too if it was only one that got it. Its more than likey viral what ever they died from... sorry to hear about your ferrets puffadder.