Seems every one is in an advice giving mode.

What does the panel of experts think to this lens for the price for a canon 600d?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EF-75-300mm-f-4-0-5-6-III-Lens-Model-6473A015-/121838895322?hash=item1c5e2a00da:g:wDEAAOSwf-VWbGX-

TC

If I had to use only one word to describe this lens....hhmmm....i'd say 'Crap'.

ha ha

I have owned one of these and i tried my best , but you're struggling with a very slow lens, and the day is cloudy then you're going to have to whack that ISO right up. Only thing is, unless your body is high spec then the pics will be as grainy as hell.

Obviously, I might well be wrong. :thumbs:

I've been serious on wildlife/hunting photos for a great many year now. I've probably got the largest portfolio of lurcherwork photos in the whole wide world,I've tried all the short cuts .But, I have to say, hand on heart, that with photography, you get what you pay for.

As omanyra says, a 2nd hand f4 will get you some smashing piccys. And don't forget, that if the body isn't a full framer then the focal length you'll get from that lens is about 430mm...... :thumbs: thats without a 1.4 converter..... :yes: :yes:

JMHO though, sometimes you're best off finding out for yourself........thats what photography's all about,..... :victory: :victory:

• Like 2

Seems every one is in an advice giving mode.

What does the panel of experts think to this lens for the price for a canon 600d?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EF-75-300mm-f-4-0-5-6-III-Lens-Model-6473A015-/121838895322?hash=item1c5e2a00da:g:wDEAAOSwf-VWbGX-

TC

If I had to use only one word to describe this lens....hhmmm....i'd say 'Crap'.

ha ha

I have owned one of these and i tried my best , but you're struggling with a very slow lens, and the day is cloudy then you're going to have to whack that ISO right up. Only thing is, unless your body is high spec then the pics will be as grainy as hell.

Obviously, I might well be wrong. :thumbs:

I've been serious on wildlife/hunting photos for a great many year now. I've probably got the largest portfolio of lurcherwork photos in the whole wide world,I've tried all the short cuts .But, I have to say, hand on heart, that with photography, you get what you pay for.

As omanyra says, a 2nd hand f4 will get you some smashing piccys. And don't forget, that if the body isn't a full framer then the focal length you'll get from that lens is about 430mm...... :thumbs: thats without a 1.4 converter..... :yes: :yes:

JMHO though, sometimes you're best off finding out for yourself........thats what photography's all about,..... :victory: :victory:

Well, I sort of knew that was coming. :thumbs: But I thought worth the ask. Thanks for the reply :thumbs:

TC

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone for their knowledge and information. John, what would buy, why are they crap? I know it's always best to keep with the Canon so I think I will consider that avenue of thought. What gear do you use?

Thank you to everyone.

Lutra Lutra.

I use Canon, but I do think Nikon are better. But I've got too much £ worth of gear to change....maybe one day I might.

The lens will be far too slow, for taking any decent image on anything other than the brightest of bright days. There will be too much blur that you'll struggle to shake off as you will not have the reserve to crank up the speed.

In order to advise on lenses, i need to know what you will be photographing.

Photographing both Foxes and Birdlife.

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone for their knowledge and information. John, what would buy, why are they crap? I know it's always best to keep with the Canon so I think I will consider that avenue of thought. What gear do you use?

Thank you to everyone.

Lutra Lutra.

I use Canon, but I do think Nikon are better. But I've got too much £ worth of gear to change....maybe one day I might.

The lens will be far too slow, for taking any decent image on anything other than the brightest of bright days. There will be too much blur that you'll struggle to shake off as you will not have the reserve to crank up the speed.

same sort of thing i want to get some decent images of . good luck fella. :thumbs: .

Thank you to everyone.

Lutra Lutra.

same sort of thing i want to get some decent images of . good luck fella. :thumbs: .

Hello Hjckcff, first of all my passion and life are my terriers, although I love Lurchers also. My other passion is birdlife and their habits.In the breeding season I devote much of my time to the study of certain species and here are some of my most favourite birds. In order:Sparrow Hawk, Woodcock, NightJar, Corn Bunting and various others. My brother was lucky enough to find a dead road casuality Wryneck many years back now. My brother kept the pr of wings.

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone.

Lutra Lutra.

Hello Hjckcff, first of all my passion and life are my terriers, although I love Lurchers also. My other passion is birdlife and their habits.In the breeding season I devote much of my time to the study of certain species and here are some of my most favourite birds. In order:Sparrow Hawk, Woodcock, NightJar, Corn Bunting and various others. My brother was lucky enough to find a dead road casuality Wryneck many years back now. My brother kept the pr of wings.

Some nice birds on your list matie..

The good thing is; get the right lens and it covers these, and some of your activities with the dogs..this is what I, and others on here do.

Happy snapping

• Like 3

Thank you to everyone.

Lutra Lutra.

just about the same as me then. terriers and lurchers. and i would like to photograph . fox,hare.badger and rabbits. the sparrowhawk is also my favourite bird followed by the robin.

i would like some good images of the dogs at work.the sort that promote working dogs. rather than discrediting them then there is the usual family and grand children. and of course i would love to photograph scantily clad ladies. (alas the good lady has knocked this on the head) :censored: the list goes on and on. i really am enjoying playing with camera,s :D and plans will be put in place for foxcubs this week :thumbs: good lens or poor lens i want pics of cubs playing at the den :yahoo:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Never thought I would go back to a crop sensor camera, but Im definately at least having a look at the new Nikon D500, as their new D5 full framer is a little out of my price range

http://nikonrumors.com/2016/01/08/nikon-d500-specifications-and-features-explained-confidential-nikon-internal-document.aspx/

• Like 1

Never thought I would go back to a crop sensor camera, but Im definately at least having a look at the new Nikon D500, as their new D5 full framer is a little out of my price range

http://nikonrumors.com/2016/01/08/nikon-d500-specifications-and-features-explained-confidential-nikon-internal-document.aspx/

I do like a cropped sensor for some things... :victory:

I do wish I'd have gone with Nikon from the start now actually, but I've too much canon gear to change.... :cray:

• Like 1

I do like a cropped sensor for some things... :victory:

I do wish I'd have gone with Nikon from the start now actually, but I've too much canon gear to change.... :cray:

A very honest statement there mate

Omamtra

For dog work do you think the full framer is better

I use a d300 and was thinking of giving the d700 a go ,old now but the d300 has been good to me

The D700 is certainly better for low light stuff, ratting in barns, close in work..etc.. it also has faster and better auto focus in low light. Noise is less of a problem too with the D700 so you can pump the ISO up higher if needed.

I wouldnt be rushing out to sell a D300 to replace it with a D700 if I was you, I had one, I bought it the week it came out. they are a cracking camera, if I hadnt run it over with my car I would probably still have it..It was my second camera when I go out..

Outside; at up to 400 ISO and in good light and there probably woundnt be too much difference in the quality of the images