Was chatting to a lady the other day who was running me through her camera, showing me the lens which is 18mm-105mm. The 18 was nice for close up but I'm not sure on the 105mm I'm thinking I might want longer. I want the camera for trying to get wild life shots but also for taking out hunting. What lens would people suggest? I'm going to start with a Nikon D3300.

Can anyone recommend any decent reputable places where I might be able to get a second hand lens?

Thanks

for wildlife you will be looking for 2 or 300mm. at least. :thumbs: . i have a 55-200 and a 70-300. both these are budget lenses and do a job for me but you have to remember that the longer lenses introduce camera shake so a tripod or monopod will be helpfull. the 18-105 will probably get most of your pictures. hand held. :thumbs:

• Must admit Ive gone the last 4 years with only one lens, a 300mm, but over the last year Ive added to my collection a 50mm..both Nikon lenses.

The 70-300mm as mentioned above is a good lens for what you say you are after, Ive used one in the past, and you can get Nikon ones off ebay for less than £100 (without VR)

Edited by Omanyra
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Was chatting to a lady the other day who was running me through her camera, showing me the lens which is 18mm-105mm. The 18 was nice for close up but I'm not sure on the 105mm I'm thinking I might want longer. I want the camera for trying to get wild life shots but also for taking out hunting. What lens would people suggest? I'm going to start with a Nikon D3300.

Can anyone recommend any decent reputable places where I might be able to get a second hand lens?

Thanks

Aye from me, I have a Nikon 80-400mm zoom lens and an 85mm macro lens, both practically new and hardly used for sale. £600 for zoom and £200 for macro

Undi..as you know, I had the 80-400mm lens for a long time, a great lens, quality glass..

Hi Bill

I bought this lens on a whim and discovered I could get more of a reach with my 300m & 1.4TC be lucky if I've taken 200 shots with it, still in case. Lol

Undi..as you know, I had the 80-400mm lens for a long time, a great lens, quality glass..

Hi Bill

I bought this lens on a whim and discovered I could get more of a reach with my 300m & 1.4TC be lucky if I've taken 200 shots with it, still in case. Lol

I bought mine second hand, had it for 3-4 years, and sold it on ebay for more than I paid for it..this is the thing with good glass, they hold their price fairly well, something that Sigma and Tamron lenses will never do

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

• Must admit Ive gone the last 4 years with only one lens, a 300mm, but over the last year Ive added to my collection a 50mm..both Nikon lenses.
  • The 70-300mm as mentioned above is a good lens for what you say you are after, Ive used one in the past, and you can get Nikon ones off ebay for less than £100 (without VR)

Awrite Bill looking for bit of advice, plan to buy 500 or 600mm nikon lens at end of month (older model not the newer ones) which do you recommend? :thumbs:

• The 70-300mm as mentioned above is a good lens for what you say you are after, Ive used one in the past, and you can get Nikon ones off ebay for less than £100 (without VR)

Awrite Bill looking for bit of advice, plan to buy 500 or 600mm nikon lens at end of month (older model not the newer ones) which do you recommend? :thumbs:

Have you won the pools matie..

Ive used both, and common sense would suggest that getting the bigger lens for what we do would be the one to get, but, my preference would be the 500mm, and this is purely through having hands on experience using them both..not from reviews or what the big lads say..

Another cracking lens is the old 400mm f2.8....its heavy, 10,5 pounds in weight and has no VR, (the 500mm is 8.5 pounds and has VR) but its so sharp, snaps to focus ultra quick, the bokeh is amzaing and you can put you tc on and its still fast.

Over the last 6 years Ive used the 500mm for ospreys for the last 3 years, the 400mm twice in that time, and the 600mm once.

This year, well I havent decided yet, but its between the 500mm and the 400mm

Bewteen the two lenses you mentioned, for me it would be the 500mm, but, Im sure others may have different views.

Have you won the pools matie..

Ive used both, and common sense would suggest that getting the bigger lens for what we do would be the one to get, but, my preference would be the 500mm, and this is purely through having hands on experience using them both..not from reviews or what the big lads say..

Another cracking lens is the old 400mm f2.8....its heavy, 10,5 pounds in weight and has no VR, (the 500mm is 8.5 pounds and has VR) but its so sharp, snaps to focus ultra quick, the bokeh is amzaing and you can put you tc on and its still fast.

Over the last 6 years Ive used the 500mm for ospreys for the last 3 years, the 400mm twice in that time, and the 600mm once.

This year, well I havent decided yet, but its between the 500mm and the 400mm

Bewteen the two lenses you mentioned, for me it would be the 500mm, but, Im sure others may have different views.

Cheers Bill! I've been saving up my embassy coupons so thought I'd invest in longer lens for some projects I have planned for this year, heard a lot of good things about the 500mm & the 400mm, VR doesn't bother me as I seldom use it, I might hire and try before I buy, cheers for the advice. :thumbs:

ss

The thing is: you've got to lug the fecker about......have a good feel of them if possible. Maybe even rent the bigger of the two out for a weekend and see how you cope. :thumbs:

You must be a hell of a smoker matie, ha ha

JD is right Undi..you can hire them so easily now, I do every year to photograph ospreys, and it gives you a chance to try before you buy..That are big lumps of glass, and I have always hand held them, as I dont own a tripod, the troubles I have with my back now are the combined results of 35 years in the motor industry, and hand holding these..I couldnt use these continually without a tripod.

Ive been in hides and photographic situations with pros and semi pros, and yes they have the extra distance with these big feckers, but swinging them about for flight shots is dificult, even with the best gimble heads.

Edited by Omanyra
  • Like 1

The thing is: you've got to lug the fecker about......have a good feel of them if possible. Maybe even rent the bigger of the two out for a weekend and see how you cope. :thumbs:

That's the plan JD, and hopefully not a lot of lugging involved as it's mainly hide work :thumbs: