Cheap Food

I run/work a fell farm with my dad and work on a lot of other fell farms and without the subs we would all be fecked. The price of lamb hasnt shifted mich in the last 15 years but the price of feed housing medcines and living costs have all gone up.

When you sign up to the agreement for the subs your not farming your land anymore your just a caretaker and you cant do anything esspecially on a higher level scheme. I asked my dad why dont you not sign up to these and we will just farm our land to the fullist and he told me if we did that they would make us do what they want and we wouldnt get any money so as bad as it sounds were better of taking it. Theres a very fine line between your bottom line and profit.

and the stuff about growth/fattning drugs or medcine is a load of rubbish they dont use them in the uk they were banned a long time ago. Its the states that use a lot of them and to be honest they would help farmers a lot as with there help you could potentially get a bull away to kill 5 months earlier than when they are not used. I dont belive in using them and i wouldnt but i can see the benifits and downside to them.

are you happy being kept by the taxpayer,you can make something of the land without expecting to be kept by other people,

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We buy our meat from the butcher that breeds and raises the pigs, his beef comes from a friend who breeds and raises his own cattle and the chickens from a third farmer who does the same, he only buys

You could always withdraw your support and not buy any of their products

fordson, can I ask what qualifies you to even be commenting on this thread? You've clearly never done a days farm work in your life! Have you ever actually met a farmer? This is a hunting site so I'd

I personally am not kept by anyone but myself as i work for myself as a shepard and drystone waller. But one day i may run the family farm when my dad has had enough but no i am not happy with the way it is if it was up to me i would keep as many sheep as my farm can hold and farm it how it should be but thats not how it works now. Its not as simple as you probally think it is. there are a lot of farmers that are happy to reduce there stock and do this and do that or not do anything to tick the boxes to get more money but i assure you they are in the minority.

no i dont think there in th minority at all,all you here from farmers is what a struggle it is,you are getting massive amounts of the tax payers money,it dosnt have to be a big farm to get 100,000 pound a year,then you get extra help with fencing and hedges or walls,upto 80percent grant on buildng maintenance or new build, you get that much money you get contractors to do your work for you,and please answer me here,all the figures the amounts you got were available for public viewing, as it should be being the tax payers money,why has this stopped,

That might be true mole but i can tell you exactly what i put into my ewes & lambs i dont even use concentrate/feed i finnish all of mine of grass and for my own frezzer i only butch weather shearlings that live on heather on the fell they taste the best

I only farm sheep and beef so i cant really make an educated statment about the pig and poultry farms.

Precisely, you don't but the big farms damned well do as it allegedly helps the animals put on weight faster. It plays havoc with certain medical conditions like IBS, Chrohns and colitis too! That is why we buy from where we do as it does not aggravate Mary's Chrohn's disease and means she can have steak! It also tastes nicer and becuase we are buying directly from the supplier, he makes more money!

• Like 1

no i dont think there in th minority at all,all you here from farmers is what a struggle it is,you are getting massive amounts of the tax payers money,it dosnt have to be a big farm to get 100,000 pound a year,then you get extra help with fencing and hedges or walls,upto 80percent grant on buildng maintenance or new build, you get that much money you get contractors to do your work for you,and please answer me here,all the figures the amounts you got were available for public viewing, as it should be being the tax payers money,why has this stopped,

Are your wages the same as they were 30 years ago?........the price of lamb is ;)

• Like 3

I couldnt tell you why it stopped because i dont know bit could you pm me a bank statement so i can have a look at what you make please ?

80% a bit exagerated and we dont get contractors because we have the skills to do things ourselves. Why do you have such a dim few on farmers? you sound like the antis ill informed and un educated on the subject.

• Like 1

That might be true mole but i can tell you exactly what i put into my ewes & lambs i dont even use concentrate/feed i finnish all of mine of grass and for my own frezzer i only butch weather shearlings that live on heather on the fell they taste the best

I only farm sheep and beef so i cant really make an educated statment about the pig and poultry farms.

Precisely, you don't but the big farms damned well do as it allegedly helps the animals put on weight faster. It plays havoc with certain medical conditions like IBS, Chrohns and colitis too! That is why we buy from where we do as it does not aggravate Mary's Chrohn's disease and means she can have steak! It also tastes nicer and becuase we are buying directly from the supplier, he makes more money!

A Lad i whent to school with suffers from chrohns and he buys a bit of mutton from me for that reason. What would you class as a large scale/big farm? It would be nice to be able to sell all of my lambs private atleast that way theres no commision taken or anyone else taking a cut but its realy hard to find private buyers and i envy the people that do have the conections to do it as i would love to be able to do it that way.

You have to able to produce a standard consistanly and hit the weights at the right time so anyone who breeds any kind of stock be it sheep cattle or dogs knows how hard it is to do so.

• Like 1

A Lad i whent to school with suffers from chrohns and he buys a bit of mutton from me for that reason. What would you class as a large scale/big farm? It would be nice to be able to sell all of my lambs private atleast that way theres no commision taken or anyone else taking a cut but its realy hard to find private buyers and i envy the people that do have the conections to do it as i would love to be able to do it that way.

You have to able to produce a standard consistanly and hit the weights at the right time so anyone who breeds any kind of stock be it sheep cattle or dogs knows how hard it is to do so.

The thing is to put the word out, advertise, cards in shop windows, leaflets in pubs, sign by the roadside, advertise on here as well! If you sell to people on here. You can give approximate dates when selling to the public and approximate weights too, no need to be exact so they have a ballpark idea how much it will be. Also give a price for whole and butchered carcasses, some people may want to go down the route of cutting it up themselves saving you time and money.

• Like 2

The thing is to put the word out, advertise, cards in shop windows, leaflets in pubs, sign by the roadside, advertise on here as well! If you sell to people on here. You can give approximate dates when selling to the public and approximate weights too, no need to be exact so they have a ballpark idea how much it will be. Also give a price for whole and butchered carcasses, some people may want to go down the route of cutting it up themselves saving you time and money.

Good advice there mole. Its the red tape and paper work that sickens me about it. As the sheep i sell private i have to use certain loop holes to get round explaining were there going if you know what i mean so to upscale it a bit i will realy need to pull my finger out and be more profesional about it. But the end decision is down to the old boy as on paper they are his and these old boys take some persuading to change there ways dont they lol.

Are your wages the same as they were 30 years ago?........the price of lamb is ;)

that only go s to show they were to expensive 30 years ago,im all for help for new ventures,but f**k me how much help do farmers need,your allready better of with your land than somebody with a back yard,but you still want a share of his money,

Thats it in a nutshell, I buy my lamb half a mile down the road from the farmer. He gets it slaughtered and can have it butchered and vac pacced for me but I prefer to do it myself. It's half the price of a supermarket and I know where it comes from.

Even advertise half carcasses stipulating they'll be sold when you have 2 orders together.

When you show comparisons of what you sell for compared to supermarkets it will open people's eyes.

• Like 2

Good advice there mole. Its the red tape and paper work that sickens me about it. As the sheep i sell private i have to use certain loop holes to get round explaining were there going if you know what i mean so to upscale it a bit i will realy need to pull my finger out and be more profesional about it. But the end decision is down to the old boy as on paper they are his and these old boys take some persuading to change there ways dont they lol.

loopholes to avold paying tax you mean,you hate to think the peasants were getting something back,each hill farm has more new tractors and implements to go against tax ,and no use for them,lets face it theres more land in cumbria still hasnt seen a plough since it was ploughed for the war effort,and you still hear them moaning about poverty,the only time a lot of these hill farmers have strugled with poverty is if they had to spell it

loopholes to avold paying tax you mean,you hate to think the peasants were getting something back,each hill farm has more new tractors and implements to go against tax ,and no use for them,lets face it theres more land in cumbria still hasnt seen a plough since it was ploughed for the war effort,and you still hear them moaning about poverty,the only time a lot of these hill farmers have strugled with poverty is if they had to spell it

Mate you have not got a clue. You just keep paying your tax then and all the farmers in england will wait for the postman to fetch your hard earned pennys in a cheque so they can go and cash it and sit and do bugger all. By the way thanks for the new ivory back scratcher it looks nice on the passenger seat of my range rover ?

• Like 1

There are ways round it Blackdog, there is a small holder near us who raises pigs and sells them half a pig or whole pig at a time, takes a deposit when they are nearing slaughter (if I recall it was around the price of whole or half animal) then gives you a call to say your meat is ready for collection (then you pay for slaughter and butchery if you wanted the carcass butchered). We don't use them as they went over to Lop, which seem to be about 60% fat!