What they like fuel wise and all that and i'm viewing one tomorrow a well looked after x reg, year 2000 one.Any points to watch out for rust or hidden faults wise folks???..mind you it's getting a mot before i buy it so most things will be fine (fingers crossed) :laugh: ..

they have a mazda bongo engin in them and they are very well know for head gasket problems to have a good look round that for indications its been off before...also the usual ford rust issues rear cross members ect... i had one for a year a 04 xlt model and it was a good truck but the head gasket went and warped the head...
fuel wise their a bit thirsty not good on country roads and round town...not too bad on a run thou and pretty good off road too

• Like 1

Thanks chaps :victory: and the same really as any other motor,they have there bad points .The one i'm looking at has been really looked after and will be going in for it's mot before i pay for it so there shouldn't be any hidden little gems :whistling: ,it's also cheap so if it is shite i won't loose money on it so i'll probebly give it a go and see how it goes and thanks again :thumbs: ..

I baught one in june so have not had it long enough for any real issues.

When I baught it the mechanic I use inspected it and put it on his computer to check for faults cost me 40 pound but this can be wiped prior to inspection.

Driven simpathetically returning 30 to 33 to the gallon.

Fantastic to drive and very comfortable.

Pulls like a trian which has surprised me as some said they are sluggish.

I tow a quad bike and you dont even know its on and is still returning 30 to gallon.

Have made to measure dog cage and racking which I would advice to maximise load space.

I asked for advice from my mechanic about rangers l200 hilux and he rates rangers as a value for money motor basic compared with the competition but reliable.

Edited by budgie123
  • Like 1

Well i've bought it and will have to see how it goes fuel wise :thumbs: but when your viewing something and the phones ringing with folks trying to buy it blind at full asking price you know you've jumped the que on a good un :D ,

Well i've bought it and will have to see how it goes fuel wise :thumbs: but when your viewing something and the phones ringing with folks trying to buy it blind at full asking price you know you've jumped the que on a good un :D ,

i agree with the good at towing...i used to pull the quad all the time and often a half dozen bags of firewood and it done realy well with it..

i miss my ranger now :cray:

• Like 1

I have a mazda b2500 and is exactly the same as a ranger inside and out. Compared to other trucks I wouldn't say it's thirsty, but will return around 30-35 to the gallon. As said pulls like a train and with a quad an trailer on or a traiker of logs the only problems iv had with mine is little things like electric windows driver side not working. Very reliable truck and will be sad to see it go

• Like 1

Thanks again chaps and good to hear it'll cope with bird feeding etc around the shoot and it'll have a fishing boat to tug along to the coast soon enough as well.I've never had brilliant luck buying a motor but i recon this one i've finaly cracked it and like i say it's cheap enough for me to punt it on at a profit if it's not really what i want :thumbs: ....

Get yourself onto the ford ranger forum, a wealth of knowledge on there, mine is a 52 reg just clocked 132,000 I get about 30mpg and I'm not exactly light footed but I don't thrash it on the motorway. Simple to work on and no real fancy electrics in the older ones to go wrong. I love it just look after it and change the oil regularly.

• Like 1

one that old will be an old school diesel model, no whistles or bells, just does what it was designed to do, not the best on fuel, not the quickest or even the best off road, just does what it says on the tin, had my mazda version 5 years and the only things (so far) that you could consider breaks are two side light bulbs, as long as the chassis is sound and you service it you`ll get years out of it, love mine, miss the speed for overtaking when wales is full of bloody tourists towing caravans but i know where-ever I want to go it will take me there

• Like 1