Big Brummy Goes Bassing

This trip developed from a bit of advice, to a go off the shore and ended with us getting Matt in a wetsuit, on a kayak bobbing around in the Exe estuary, the added bonus was Snifferboy joining us, Geth (white van man) sorted a couple of yaks for the lads and another of my mates (Tom, the unluckiest angler I know) tagging along.

After maybe 2 hours sleep the 4-30 alarm was a killer, I done the shit yourself 5 min snooze, and jumped out of bed in a panic lol.. The gear was loaded, we had fresh lug, rag and a few peeler ( crab had been a nightmare to get hold of this week, could've done with robbo lol).. We all met bang on time, and arrived at the estuary at first light, it was a cracking morning, the predicted rain had stayed away and we paddled out on a fog covered mill pond like estuary.

I had for a mark just off the main channel and with the tide just starting to flood felt quite confident of a bite of 2, I tied up with Matt alongside, Geth and Snifferboy tied together and Tom was off on his ( stuff him too close he's a proper Jonah lol).. Matt hadn't done a lot of sea fishing before so I spent the first 20 mins or so helping out.. He was a natural though, 4 small bass in the the first 4 casts and he was away!!

It was nice steady fishing only small schoolies, no more than a pound but everyone had a few ( apart from Tom lol).. The tide increased and a big flock of terns were diving hard 100 yards or so upstream.. We had no lures etc, but something was driving the bait fish up..

I had a feeling that as the tide pushed in a bit more a bigger fish or 2 may come about, sure enough Matt had a decent bite and hit into something obviously better, after a decent little scrap he pulled a decent bass of around 3lb aboard.. Que biggest grin in Devon today lol.. He followed with another slightly smaller, Tom had had enough of being humiliated by the newbie and paddled in lol.. Geth then had a decent one and I had a better fish.. It was decent sport and a good craic as well, with the normal banter and obligatory piss taking lol..

Unfortunately the time had come to paddle in, the sun had broke through which made it a nice paddle..

It was great to get out with a few decent lads, and luckily get them a couple of fish as well.. I think Matt is getting himself a kayak now.. Lol

post-50738-0-38610800-1440269301_thumb.jpgpost-50738-0-22286800-1440269319_thumb.jpgpost-50738-0-45375600-1440269342_thumb.jpgpost-50738-0-73309900-1440269359_thumb.jpgpost-50738-0-29747500-1440269379_thumb.jpgpost-50738-0-50413700-1440269394_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This trip developed from a bit of advice, to a go off the shore and ended with us getting Matt in a wetsuit, on a kayak bobbing around in the Exe estuary, the added bonus was Snifferboy joining us, Ge

Couldn't have wished for a better bunch of blokes to get on the water with. Massive thanks to them all for not robbing my paddle and cutting me adrift in retaliation for my beginners luck. Everythi

They are always tasty!!

Posted Images

Couldn't have wished for a better bunch of blokes to get on the water with.

Massive thanks to them all for not robbing my paddle and cutting me adrift in retaliation for my beginners luck.

Everything supplied and refused to take a penny off me......

Next stop kayak and fat bloke wetsuit!

Many thanks again gents.....

Haven't stopped smiling all day, even had a doze with a grin on my face apparently!

• Like 7

Nice write up buddy, I really enjoyed myself too! It was good to meet up with some decent blokes and actually get into some fish!

It was also reassuring that Matt's isn't as pretty in real life as he is in his profile picture! I'd hate to see what picture he's put up on tinder!!!

Thanks again boys,

Sniffer

• Like 2