Polishing Up

Forecast good for tomorrow so i am off out char fishing in the morning, home made baits needed a polish up,i thought some of you might be interested to see some, they are all made from brass, bronze, copper, silver and mixes of all. the lake is not fishing that well at the moment but i will take the camera and try and get some pics of the morningpost-33227-0-79332800-1438972253_thumb.jpgpost-33227-0-52971400-1438972284_thumb.jpgpost-33227-0-77331400-1438972337_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Brian.

• Like 13

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once the sun had burned off the mist it was a glorious morning, not a lot of action but worth having a look out, the boat,   Murky start     A couple for supper       Cheers Brian

I will see if i can explain how it works,but you will have to bare with me as i am not the brightest spark on the planet. Starting with the Poles [rods] they are 16 to 18 ft long made from bamboo [p

Forecast good for tomorrow so i am off out char fishing in the morning, home made baits needed a polish up,i thought some of you might be interested to see some, they are all made from brass, bronze,

Posted Images

I remember years ago a tv series on people from cumbria.One was of this man Allan Mason It showed him charr fishing on coniston with his mate and making charr baits it was very intresting. :thumbs:

ferreting%20pics%20926_zpsiuacma5h.jpg

• Like 4

Darbo, it was called The Old Man of Coniston and it was part of a brilliant series about Lakeland characters.

Am I right in saying he also showed his expertise in using dynamite ?

Not for fishing but for blasting rock. He used an otter board for catching Char and maybe I'm wrong but did he tickle a small trout in a stream too ?

It's year ago but I remember things like that.

• Like 2

Darbo, it was called The Old Man of Coniston and it was part of a brilliant series about Lakeland characters.

Am I right in saying he also showed his expertise in using dynamite ?

Not for fishing but for blasting rock. He used an otter board for catching Char and maybe I'm wrong but did he tickle a small trout in a stream too ?

It's year ago but I remember things like that.

Thats the one neil. i cant remember the otter board.He fished for charr of a boat.Your right about the dynamite he worked on the quarries all his life.He was a mate of donald campell who tried to gain the world water speed record(Bluebird).The book is intresting about his life army days,quarry working,charr fishing ,poaching etc. :thumbs:

Yes, funny but I can't remember too much about the other programmes in the series but it was repeated a few times as I seen it a few times.

It's a pity they don't show show's like that much anymore.

We can't spent every minute of our lives in the field so when we are indoors it's nice to see how someone else does it, LOL.

• Like 4

I will see if i can explain how it works,but you will have to bare with me as i am not the brightest spark on the planet.

Starting with the Poles [rods] they are 16 to 18 ft long made from bamboo [preferably both the same length], they are as rare as hens teeth to find now, on the end of the poles are horse bells with a ring soldered on, the bells are your bite detectors,to the ring is clipped on your main line, this goes down 20 ft to a fig 8 dropper witch also acts as a swivel, to this dropper is attached what we call a lazy line, this goes back into the boat, also attached is 10 ft of nylon braid with 4ft of mono then your first bait [lure], from the bottom of the dropper the main line continues for 10 to 12 ft to another dropper with your second bait on and so it goes until you have 7 or 8 baits on either side, 2 or 3 ft below is your weight which is a pound and a half of lead.

When you are fishing the boat cannot be allowed to stop or the whole lot ends up tangled to fck.

once you get a fish on the whole lot is handlined in with the lazy line to the first dropper which is then placed on a pin, if you look at the pictures you will see them about 3/4 of the way along the boat, the lines are placed on the side seats,once on the pin you pull in the braidand hopefully a fish, if not put the bait in the holes of the timber block which you can see in the pics then carry on until you have a fish or find out that the sod has got off.

It is easier than it sounds but difficult to row and work the tackle on your own hence the electric outboard, which i only use when working the tackle,.

I hope this explains things a little bit.

air gun ant, looks like you dont live to far away, could possibly take you out if you like

Brian

• Like 14

I will see if i can explain how it works,but you will have to bare with me as i am not the brightest spark on the planet.

Starting with the Poles [rods] they are 16 to 18 ft long made from bamboo [preferably both the same length], they are as rare as hens teeth to find now, on the end of the poles are horse bells with a ring soldered on, the bells are your bite detectors,to the ring is clipped on your main line, this goes down 20 ft to a fig 8 dropper witch also acts as a swivel, to this dropper is attached what we call a lazy line, this goes back into the boat, also attached is 10 ft of nylon braid with 4ft of mono then your first bait [lure], from the bottom of the dropper the main line continues for 10 to 12 ft to another dropper with your second bait on and so it goes until you have 7 or 8 baits on either side, 2 or 3 ft below is your weight which is a pound and a half of lead.

When you are fishing the boat cannot be allowed to stop or the whole lot ends up tangled to fck.

once you get a fish on the whole lot is handlined in with the lazy line to the first dropper which is then placed on a pin, if you look at the pictures you will see them about 3/4 of the way along the boat, the lines are placed on the side seats,once on the pin you pull in the braidand hopefully a fish, if not put the bait in the holes of the timber block which you can see in the pics then carry on until you have a fish or find out that the sod has got off.

It is easier than it sounds but difficult to row and work the tackle on your own hence the electric outboard, which i only use when working the tackle,.

I hope this explains things a little bit.

air gun ant, looks like you dont live to far away, could possibly take you out if you like

Brian

A brilliant offer, not many would. :thumbs:

TC

• Like 1

I know Billy in the film really well, probably the best char fisherman on coniston and a great bloke, he does things a little bit different to how i fish but basically its the same, probably just because he fishes coniston and i fish windermere and its been different for century's, only 5 miles or less as the crow fly's

Brian

• Like 2