How Soon Is To Soon

When would you breed off a bitch, i have a 1yr old bitch that is race bred, when I bought her I bought her based on her bloodline and knew which stud dog I would use in future before she was even born. She will be fast but I know the mating I want to carry out will be faster. Would you consider 2yrs be to young?

if its for working speed isnt everything you can have to much in certain dogs how you choose a stud before she was born you wouldnt know her strengths or weaknesses and you may want to add something the stud doesnt have work her for a few seasons your view could well change about the stud you want or require

Why would it be a wind up? I believe bloodlines play a huge part in successful breeding. Have studied greyhound bloodlines extensively, just because a dog is fast doesn't necessarily mean it produces fast offspring, greyhound breeders often have broods that have never raced. A lot believe to many races can effect a dogs ability to produce quality pups.

Don't 100% agree with the adage worker to worker

As for bag chasing, I work for myself, enjoy running dogs and cannot afford to fall foul of the law, (wouldn't get any local work it is large shooting area where lurchers are disliked) so bag chasing is the next best thing

Can see your point and the logic behind your thinking.

some dogs are bred from having never raced, breeding is not a simple science. Quality to quality does not always guarantee quality pups. Seems to me most great breeding dynasties start with a brood bitch.

It's your bitch do as you wish but I wouldn't do it till around three years in a track bitch as that's when they say they get a little slow as for breeding in greyhounds low grade bitches have produced champions you can never tell what your getting you just pay your money an take your chance just like the rest of us